Chapter Twenty Five

Despite only being together for just as long as Damian and I, Samantha and Jake got engaged after six months together. I remember hearing my mum squealing from the kitchen and then me running down thinking she was in trouble. Thankfully, she wasn't. She set the phone down and threw me a smile, not telling me anything. She couldn't just squeal the house down and not tell me! She told me I would find out later today.

Later today came and Jake and Samantha had come over. Jake and Damian didn't seem to have much bad blood between them and they seemed rather friendly towards each other. I assumed it was because of Samantha and how she basically whipped Jake into shape. He could learn a lot from her, she was pretty wise.

We all sat at the dinner table with Jake and Samantha opposite Damian and I, and my parents sitting at each end of the table. We all ate peacefully and had small talk. I was really itching to find out what had happened and why my mum seemed like she was about to bounce off the walls. I helped mum clean up the dishes and also bring dessert to everyone. She had made an apple pie. Her apple pies were amazing, it was one of my favourite dessert dishes she made.

"So, Sam and I have some news," Jake says, gathering all our attention. I looked to mum who was ready to burst. "We're getting married." The whole table erupted in congratulations and Jake even let Damian give him a congratulatory hug. I did my bit and congratulated the both of them. It was wonderful news and I was so happy for them. One reason why I liked Sam was because as well as being so kind and caring, she also knew how to handle Jake especially when he was angry. I could see that when he got angry with Damian. She knew straight how to handle him, even if it took her a while to help me get him off of Damian, and I loved that about her. In my opinion, they were perfectly matched. Jake treated her like a Queen and he always spoke good about her to me. He was so in love with her and it warmed my heart.

"That'll be you and I next," Damian whispered to me, my heartbeat increasing. My hands started to get clammy and sweaty so I wiped them on my jeans but it wasn't working. "Babe, it's okay." I think he could tell I was getting nervous. I was only nervous because they always say that married life ruins your relationship. "We aren't moving too fast, it's okay." I looked to him and he had a soft smile on his face. His eyes were filled with love and adoration which made my heart melt. He really loves me a lot.

"I love you," I whispered back to him. He chuckled and pulled me for a quick kiss, muttering against my lips how he loves me more. I told him it was impossible but he shook his head and disagreed with me.

"We've got more news actually," Samantha spoke up, grinning ear to ear. "We are also adopting a kid. He's nine and his name is Bradley. He's a total sweetheart and you'll all love him." My mum did another happy squeal, which told me she knew about the engagement but not this. We all hugged them again and congratulated them. So much happy news. "It'll be official next week where we get to bring him home."

"Yeah, and after he settles in for maybe a week then we will come and take him to see you guys," Jake adds, a beaming smile on his face. I noticed now that he had Sam back, he seemed much happier and more relaxed. It made him more, well, bearable. It's awful saying that seeing as I'm his sister but it was true. "Have you two got any good news?" Jake asks, still beaming with happiness. We shook our head and he frowned slightly, telling us that it was a shame. I don't know if he meant it in a snarky way or genuinely. Whichever one it was, I didn't care at this moment. All I cared about was having that apple pie that was sitting on my plate taunting me with its presence. "I think Kylie wants to eat apple pie, maybe we should sit," Jake suggested. I thanked him and raced to my seat. Yes, I was the first one sitting down and the first to finish my apple pie.

My mum knew me well when she placed another slice of apple pie on my plate. "If you ever need her to say yes to anything, just stick an apple pie in front of her," my mum advised to Damian, making him chuckle.