Odd Family Part 2 of "Alchemist"*

*father figure!Qyburn x reader x mother figure!Brienne(platonic), implied!Podrick x reader(unspecified)

Your muscles ached but you did your best to pay attention to Qyburn's lesson. Of course, he noticed that you weren't as focused as you should have been. He blamed the lessons from Brienne of Tarth. You knew that. And he was right of course, but you wouldn't tell him that. You knew he was concerned and perhaps slightly jealous of the time you spent with the woman, but you were fine. Or at least you would be once you got used to using your body as well as your brain.

A frown made its way to Qyburn's face. "You need to focus, Y/N." You nodded and attempted a smile. You really were trying, but the ever-observant Qyburn could see it was hopeless that day. "Never mind. There is no use in trying to instruct you today. Are you injured?" After a shake of your head, Qyburn dismissed you for the day. With a heavy heart, you bid him good evening and left.

You hated feeling like you were disappointing him. Like you were disappointing a parent. At the same time, you didn't want to disappoint Brienne either. She was quickly becoming like a big sister or mother to you and although you knew Qyburn was jealous of the time you spent with her, you couldn't and wouldn't stop. You didn't realize just how it was bothering them both (especially Qyburn) until you were walking with Podrick one day and overheard Brienne and Qyburn arguing about you.

"Your training, while admittedly helpful, is leading Y/N away from the path they should be on! They have immense potential to be the very best alchemist the world has ever seen, yet they cannot seem to focus because of your training." You and Podrick paused on your walk, hiding just out of sight as you waited for Brienne to reply.

"Y/N asked for this training and until I hear this directly from them, I will continue with what I am doing. While Y/N has the brains to do what you want, they have the will and desire to fight. Even more than some of the knights I've trained in the past. If you make them choose, Y/N will choose to fight." Qyburn shook his head stubbornly. It was beneath him to argue, you knew that, but he didn't exactly seem to be in his normal state of mind.

"No they will not. They will choose to be safe! With me!" Brienne snorted out a laugh before the arguing continued once more. You turned to Podrick with a frown. "D-Did I cause this?" He shook his head and took his hand in yours. "I think they are both worried for you. You've stretched yourself thin. And perhaps Qyburn is a bit...jealous that he is no longer the only person you admire. You went from having no real family to having two parent figures in a short time and Qyburn was first." You rolled your eyes as the voices of the people in question grew louder.

"This is ridiculous," you muttered. You dropped Podrick's hand and marched to where the two most important people in your life were. "That's enough! In case neither of you have noticed, I am not a child! I can make decisions for myself! You are both like parents to me, but I will not be the source of contention between you! I can have both a father and mother figure in my life. I shouldn't feel like I have to choose between one or the other. I love you both and know you each have a lot to teach me, but you need to let me decide what I can and cannot handle." You didn't let them get in a word of argument before you turned on your heel and walked off again.

A little while later, you were skimming your notes in Qyburn's study when the door opened. You didn't look up. You were too irritated still. Normally when you were that upset, you would take it out on a practice dummy with a sword, but your muscles would not let you that evening. So you chose to study instead.

"Y/N?" you hardly glanced up at Qyburn when he called your name. Childish? Maybe, but you really didn't want to argue. It wasn't until you heard Brienne's voice as well that you looked away from your notes. You didn't say anything, but arched a brow while waiting for one of them to speak.

"I-we apologize, Y/N. It was never our intention to make you feel like a child or that you had to choose between the two things and people you love most." It was Brienne who spoke, but you could see Qyburn agreeing with her. You sighed and stood. "I need you both to understand that I know what I can handle. If it will make you feel better, we can work out some kind of schedule so we can avoid this kind of tension."

"Not necessary. We think we can work together. I've noticed that you absorb information better when you have multiple things to focus on so we've decided that, if you are willing, I can teach you the basics of alchemy while you train and then, on days you have breaks, we can work on the hands-on portions. And of course, ample opportunity to spend in leisure by yourself or with each of us separately. You were right. You can have a mother and a father. I am...honored that you have chosen me to fill one of those roles."

Your heart felt full for the first time in years. You wasted no time in popping up from your seat and throwing your arms around them. First Brienne, who awkwardly patted your back, and then Qyburn, who returned the gesture, but only briefly. "I like that idea. Thank you. Both of you. D-Do you think we could take supper together this evening?" The two exchanged a glance, but eventually ended up agreeing. You could have jumped for joy. Yes, your family was strange and not at all your typical family, but they were yours.