A Coronation (Jaime Lannister x fem!reader) Royal AU

As the eldest son, Jaime always knew he'd be king someday. He just hadn't expected the day to come so soon. He wasn't ready. At least, that's what he kept telling himself as the royal dressers fitted him for an entirely new outfit fit for the coronation. He counted himself lucky that you were by his side and wondered if you were just as nervous as he was for your own upcoming coronation as queen.

As if on cue, a knock sounded at the door. Before anyone could protest, you walked in. "Your Grace! The king is not appropriately dressed!" the tailor exclaimed. You merely shot him an unimpressed look. "I am quite certain I have seen my husband's arse many more times than you. I've seen more of his everything than you. Leave us, please," you ordered gently, but with no room for argument.

Once the door closed behind everyone, Jaime let out a small sigh. You smiled softly at him. "I thought you might need a rescue for a bit. I know this entire process is draining on you. You haven't even had proper time to process what's happening." You stepped closer to Jaime so he could wrap his arms around you. "Thank you, but aren't you worried?" You laughed. "Of course I am. But not for you. You will be a great king, my love. I am only the lucky woman who gets to stand by your side."

"What did I do to deserve you?" he asked, making you chuckle again. "I can think of a few things." You kissed his lips as he held you to him. When you pulled back, your brows were furrowed slightly. "What is it?" Your lips upturned into a smirk. "I do believe the tailor was right. You are not appropriately dressed...You are wearing far too much." Jaime's laughter echoed through the room as you began removing his small clothes. You spent the rest of the afternoon celebrating in the way lovers do.

The next day, Jaime felt better about everything. The two of you had spoken at length, with you trying to ease Jaime's fears. It had worked for the most part. You had always had that effect on him. When your own temper didn't get the best of you, you had a calming influence on your husband. Jaime entered the throne room with your words on his mind and in his heart.

"You have nothing to be afraid of, Jaime," you told him as you lie in bed together. Your fingers absent-mindedly drew random patterns on his chest. "You are not your father. He taught you how to be a king and the consequences thereof, but he didn't teach you what a king is. You figured that out on your own. You have already proven to the people that you have their best interest at heart. The coronation is just cementing what the people already know. That you are their king.

Jaime approached the throne and turned to face his subjects. You were standing among them, a smile on your face. Seeing you there gave Jaime the courage to vow to protect the realm, to uphold the laws, and pledge loyalty to the people. The entire room cheered when the crown was placed formally placed on his head.

"I crown thee, Jaime Lannister, first of his name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Realm." Jaime smiled down at you as the applause and cheers grew to a roar. When it died down, the septon turned to Jaime again. "It is time for you to crown your queen, Your Grace." Jaime nodded and extended a hand to you.

Jaime felt your hand trembling slightly. It was his turn to reassure you. He gave your hand a soft squeeze. "I love you," he whispered when you glanced up at him. "I love you, too." He let you turn so you could face the crowd. "Do you, Y/N of Houses Y/L/N and Lannister vow to uphold the laws of the realm, to govern the people wisely and justly, to be a voice of reason for your king, and to put the needs of the realm above your own?" You replied softly that you did.

"Then I crown thee, Y/N Lannister, first of her name, Queen of the Andals and the First Men." Jaime himself placed the crown upon your head before pressing a gently kiss to your cheek. The people cheered even more. It was clear that they appreciated that their king could show that he wasn't harsh or overbearing and was capable of love. "You see? I told you. The people adore you, Jaime."

"Not nearly as much as I do you. I wish we could skip the feast." You laughed lightly. "Naughty." Jaime gave you a saucy wink. "For you? Always." You rolled your eyes as Jaime began to lead you from the room to the Hall where the feast was being held. With your arm around his, Jaime felt a little more at peace. As long as he had you, Jaime knew he would be alright. The kingdom would thrive with you as its queen and he would be the best king, the best husband, and hopefully one day, the best father, he could possibly be.