Loyalty (Brienne of Tarth x fem!reader)

Loyalty was a beautiful thing when you found the right person or thing to be loyal too. You had always been loyal to the North and to your heart. It was why you came to King's Landing. You had hoped to not only secure better prospects for the North, but also to potentially find a match for marriage. Brienne was a little different. She didn't usually let her heart make decisions for her. But there was one house you both were loyal to and that was how you would grow closer.

Brienne's loyalty to House Stark came as a bit of a surprise to you considering how close she seemed to be with Jaime Lannister. After spending time with her, however, you realized just how loyal she truly was. It was really a thing of beauty that the two of you bonded over. It also helped that the two of you were both outcasts in the city.

"If I know Arya, she's out there fighting her way home," you assured Brienne the afternoon before Joffrey's wedding, "As for Sansa, she's smarter than people give her credit for. She's protecting herself. Catelyn would be proud of her." Brienne smiled slightly. Since coming to King's Landing, she had been unable to convince Sansa to come with her and she still had no idea where Arya was. You were able to calm her worries at least a little bit.

"And what of you? When the wedding is over? Where will you go?" You shrugged a bit. "I'm not certain yet. Perhaps Bear Island. I hear Lady Mormont is looking for new advisors. Or maybe I'll travel the world and have a grand adventure, like yours." Brienne smiled a little wider. "I believe you could, my lady." You rolled your eyes. "Brienne, I've told you, you don't have to call me that. We're friends."

A look of pain briefly flashed over Brienne's features, but she schooled herself quickly. "Of course." You arched a brow, but didn't press her. You knew she kept her emotions pretty close to the vest and you weren't about to break her trust in you so you let it go for the time being. "Brienne, come walk with me," you said, getting and offering your hand.

She didn't take it, but nodded anyway. You sighed as you walked away from the busy people around you. You needed to get away for a moment to talk to Brienne away from prying eyes. You didn't want anyone to be around when you did what you were about to do.

Over the time you'd known Brienne, you had come to care for her as far more than a friend. You saw her differently than everyone else. You saw her as not only a strong woman, but a woman with a beautiful mind and soul. You saw a woman that was brave enough to be who she was, no matter what. She never changed herself to please those around her, even if it meant making herself the butt of jokes. You saw the woman you wanted in her. You saw the woman you loved.

As soon as you were certain you were alone, you stopped walking and turned to Brienne. "What are we doing here?" she asked. You licked your lips and took a deep breath. "We're here because I have something to say and I wouldn't do you the dishonor of letting anyone else hear it before you. I have...that is...I care for you, Brienne. Very deeply. Much more than a friend or confidante. I am happier when you're near."

Brienne said nothing for a moment, then a frown made its way to her lips. "Are you toying with me, Y/N? It isn't funny." You shook your head instantly. "I would never do that to you. You know I wouldn't. I really care for you." Brienne scoffed and turned to walk away. You grabbed her hand, clasping it firmly, but gently in yours. "Brienne, please. I mean it. I'm not joking or making fun of you. I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, but I couldn't wait another day to tell you."

She turned to face you. A look of disbelief was etched on her face, but tears were in her eyes. You reached up and placed a hand on her cheek as you smiled up at her. She looked ready to cry so you did the first thing you could think of. You moved your hand to the back of her neck and gently pulled her to you so you could plant your lips softly to hers. It wasn't the best of first kisses, but you had taken her by surprise.