I'm No Orphan (Sandor Clegane x fem!reader)

You always believed everything happened for a reason. So when you had the urge to go out for supplies for the children that morning, you didn't question it. You left the older children to watch over the younger ones and went on your supply run. When you were on the road for only a few minutes, you learned why you'd had the urge to leave. Lying on the side of the road, broken, beaten, and bloodied, was a very large man.

Your heart went out for him to have died on his own. You decided to give him a proper burial and turned to go back to the orphanage to get a few supplies. That's when he coughed. You nearly jumped out of your skin. You raced back to you home and hitched up the wagon. You ushered all the children out to where you'd seen the man. Hopefully he was still alive when you returned.

After having the stronger children help, you managed to get him up on the wagon and to the orphanage. You let him take your bed and you nursed him back to health as best as you could. It took weeks, but he finally started showing signs of improvement. You were definitely grateful for that because you were stretching yourself thin. You hoped he would wake soon.

Sandor's POV

Sandor could hear movement and voices somewhere in the distance. He had no clue where he was but he was warm and cozy. "Not now, you two. Go wash your faces," a closer voice said. It was soft and feminine. Sandor decided to take a chance and open his eyes. As he became more aware of his body, he could feel the aches of the battle he'd endured. He was surprised that the only pain he felt was in his leg.

"You're awake," the same voice said. "HE IS?!" two much louder voices cried. They most assuredly belonged to children. "I told you to go wash your faces. No go on." Sandor let his head turn so he could see the owner of the voice. "Forgive them. It's not often we get visitors here." You slowly approached the bed and smiled down at Sandor.

"How are you feeling?" Sandor let his gaze travel your face. He saw none of the fear or disgust he usually saw. He grunted, unable to really form words. You sat down in a chair next to him. "It's alright. You were in a pretty bad way, Ser." Sandor cleared his throat. "I'm not a knight," he managed to rasp out in a whisper. You nodded.

"Then what shall I call you?" After a moment, he gave you his name. You helped him sit up and got him some water. "My name is Y/F/N. I look after the children in this orphanage." Sandor raised a brow. "I'm no orphan. Why am I here?" You quickly explained that you'd found him and brought him here when you realized he was alive. "You are welcome to stay as long as you'd like," you told him. Sandor was a little wary. After all, nothing came without a price. Still, you seemed genuine so maybe there wouldn't be a price for him to pay. He decided to stay, at least for a little while.

*time skip*

It was months before Sandor realized the price he paid for staying with you and the children. You were telling the younger children a story when the realization hit him like a flash of lightening. You had been there for him, even after he'd healed completely.

You got to know each other over the weeks when you talked every night after the children went to bed. You talked and argued and laughed and drank. Sandor helped with physical labor around the orphanage and you made sure he was fed and as happy as he could be. As you grew closer, Sandor felt something he'd never felt before. Oh yes, there was a price. The price was his heart. The question was: with winter coming, should he go North and assist Jon Snow or should he be selfish and stay put with you?

"Sandor?" your voice asked, shaking Sandor out of his thoughts. He glanced around to see that the children had already gone to bed. You smiled over at him. "Would you care for a drink?" Sandor nodded. You poured him some wine and took the seat next to him. You didn't say anything for a few minutes. When you finally spoke again, it was soft.

"You've healed nicely." He cleared his throat and muttered confirmation. "I suppose you'll be heading North...to the fighting." He glanced over at you. You refused to meet his gaze. Could it be that the thought of him leaving bothered you? "Do ya want me to?" You looked at him from the corner of your eye. "I want you to do what you want, Sandor. Whatever you feel is right."

"I'm stayin'," he said without waiting a beat. He didn't know why he said it so quickly, but he knew it was the truth. He didn't want to leave. He could try and tell himself it was to keep himself and you safe, but that was a lie and he knew it. "Why? From what you've told me, I thought you would prefer to fight." Sandor grunted. "Someone's got to protect ya and the children. Once the fightin' starts, all sorts of ruffians will come down this way. You'll be in danger."

You hummed softly. You turned your head to look at him. "Is that the only reason?" Sandor met your gaze. Your usual gentleness was replaced with worry and a bit of what looked like hope. Sandor couldn't form the words. How could he voice a feeling he'd never felt before? You stood up and moved to stand in front of him. Slowly, you reached up and placed a gentle hand on the scarred side of his face. He looked up at you in awe. No one touched him, ever, let alone the scars that sent most people running for the hills. He closed his eyes and reveled in your touch.

"Tell me, Sandor. Please." He opened his eyes again to meet your gaze. Your eyes bore into his, making his heart beat faster. What was wrong with him? He was the Hound! He was killer. He didn't love. And yet, here he was. "I think I might...love ya." You beamed. "That is a relief, I must say, because I know I love you." Before Sandor could reply, you leaned in and kissed him.

While he had a little experience with kisses thanks to the whores in the brothels, he'd never experienced a kiss like this. The rare kisses with the whores were rough and demanding. And they were quick simply because they wanted to finish and get Sandor out of there. He scared them. This kiss, however, was soft and loving. There was no urgency. No lust even. Just sweetness and the love you both had been hiding for so long.