Apprehensive (Daenerys Targaryen x fem!Lannister reader) AU*

(*- of a sort)

You stood there staring at your father just knowing you hadn't heard him right. This was absolutely unheard of. Not only was he trying to marry you, a Lannister, off to a Targaryen, but to a woman. Political marriages took place to ensure that there were heirs to the throne or holdfast. That wouldn't be possible for you if you married Daenerys. Still, you were certain your father was using you to keep some form of control of the Iron Throne.

"Y/N?" Tyrion asked from the vicinity of your elbow. You glanced down at him with a smile before turning your attention back to your father. "Father, I don't understand. Why? It doesn't make sense." You then turned to the queen in question with a sheepish smile. "No offense meant, Your Grace."

"You have caused no offense, Lady Y/N. I was also confused as to why your father proposed the match. After hearing him out, I have agreed on one condition." You cocked your head to the side in confusion. She smiled at you. "I agreed to the marriage on the condition that you agree as well."

You looked between Daenerys and your father. There was no love lost between your family and the Targaryens. They had been at each others' throats forever, it seemed. Especially after your brother Jaime killed the Mad King...Daenerys' father.

When that thought crossed your mind, you wondered if Daenerys agreed to the match only as a means of revenge. Would she marry you and then kill you? Torture you? Would she wait until it would hurt your family the most or would it happen your wedding night? You weren't sure why all these thoughts bounced around in your mind, but you couldn't get them to disappear. Still, you knew they were waiting for your answer.

"May-that is, would it be possible for me to ponder on it for a while? Marriage is not something I've really thought about and not something I wish to rush into, you understand." Your father opened his mouth to argue, but Daenerys held up a hand, her violet eyes never leaving your face.

"I think that would be best. Perhaps we could get to know one another before rushing into marriage." You held back the sigh of absolute relief that was threatening to burst out of you. You looked back at your father who gave you that look that told you he wasn't happy. Although, at that point, you couldn't even bring yourself to care. You'd been given a slight reprieve. Hopefully you'd be able to get rid of your apprehension over this situation.

*time skip*

Daenerys was nothing at all like you pictured. Sure, she had a temper on her but she wasn't the ruthless savage you'd been raised to believe. She was actually quite lovely. Still, there was that lingering doubt in the back of your head. You knew you'd never be able to rest easily until you spoke to Daenerys about your worries.

"Your Grace?" you questioned, looking up from your plate. You had joined Daenerys in her study for supper that evening. She arched a brow at you playfully. You laughed a bit and corrected yourself, "Daenerys?"

"Yes?" You liked your lips just seconds before the question bubbled up passed your lips. "Are you going to kill me?" She blinked in surprise, staring at you. "Kill you?" You nodded, looking away. You didn't want to see her anger. You heard her lift a goblet to her lips and drink before setting it back down.

"Why would I kill you, Y/N?" She sounded genuinely confused, but you still didn't look up. Instead, you fiddled with your fingers in your lap. "Because of what my brother did to your father? Because my father wants us to marry so that he may still have some control of the throne? I can think of many reasons."

"I have spoken to your brother about what happened. My father was mad. Even I can admit that. And if your brother hadn't done what he did, there would be no Iron Throne. There would be no King's Landing at all. I have long forgiven him. As for your father, I have no intention of letting him have any control over the throne, whether you and I marry or not. The Iron Throne is mine until I can longer rule."

You finally raised your head so you could look at her. You needed to see if she was telling the truth. "And me?" She smiled and laid her hand on the table with her palm up. You hesitated for a second before taking it. "You've done nothing wrong, Y/N. Certainly nothing to deserve death. And besides, I've come to enjoy our time together. Even if you do not agree to the marriage, I would be happy to have you as a friend."

"I have as well. Our conversations are a welcome distraction from the world beyond the Keep's walls," you began, looking into her eyes, "I do not know if I love you, Daenerys. But I can think of worse fates than being married to you. An alliance between our families is a good thing, but an alliance between you and me is something that would be formidable, I think. If you are still open to it, I would agree to the marriage."

Daenerys beamed at you as she gripped your hand a little tighter. "Then we are in agreement. Should we tell your father now or wait until morning?" You rolled your eyes. You hadn't spoken much to your father since he'd told you about the arrangement. You were so angry at him using you for power yet again.

"Tomorrow. I think for tonight, a small celebration of us and our closest friends." Daenerys nodded and called for the guard to bring Tyrion, Varys, Jorah, and Missandei to the room. The six of you spent the night drinking and laughing in celebration of the marriage.

"So, do you love her, sister?" Tyrion asked. The two of you and Varys were in the corner of the room while Daenerys spoke to Jorah and Missandei. "No...at least not yet. But, in truth, I can see myself happy with her. For now, we trust and understand each other and there have been marriages built on far less. And who knows? Perhaps one day, love will grow." Your eyes met Daenerys' across the room and you both smiled.