My Ward's Teacher (Jaime Lannister x fem!reader) Jane Eyre AU

Jaime sighed heavily as his manor came into view. He'd been away for too long now, not that he liked spending too much time at home anyway. Memories of his late wife haunted him like ghosts. The only reason he kept coming home was to ensure that his niece was being taken care of. And, thanks to the newly hired tutor, he was confident she was.

Jaime himself had yet to meet you in person. He was away on business when you arrived at the manor and hadn't been home since. He'd received letters from both his niece and his housekeeper singing your praises though. Now he just needed to get home to see Myrcella and meet you. That would have happened sooner if not for the fox running across the trail. The fox spooked his horse and Jaime fell off into the dirt, twisting his ankle in the process.

He let out a string of curses as he heard someone approaching. "Are you alright?" Jaime looked up to see a (h/c)-haired female staring down at him. "I'm quite alright. Fox startled the horse." The woman drew closer to him and smiled. "Let me help you." Jaime huffed out a laugh. That was one of his faults. His pride usually prevented him from getting help.

"I'm quite capable, I assure you." Instead of getting offended, the young woman merely shrugged and turned to walk back the way she came. Jaime tried to get up, but couldn't. "Wait!" The woman turned to him again with a smug grin. "If you could just help me to my horse, I can manage the rest." She walked back over and did as he said without a word. With a slight nod in thanks, Jaime rode off eager to return home. Still, he couldn't help but glance back at the woman who'd come to a stranger's aide.

When Jaime arrived at the manor, he was instantly helped into the parlor to rest his ankle until a doctor could be summoned to tend to it. "Uncle Jaime!" Myrcella's sweet voice cried when she saw him. He beamed at her as she ran over and gently plopped herself down next to him. She began chatting away about her studies and her new tutor. It wasn't until a couple minutes later, when Myrcella finally took a breath, that Jaime was able to ask about you.

"And where is this wonderful tutor I hired?" he asked playfully. Myrcella opened her mouth to answer, but someone else spoke instead. "Well, it appears she is late." Jaime turned his head to see you standing in the door. His mouth dropped open for a moment. What were the chances that his helpful stranger was the same woman he'd hired as a tutor for his niece.

"Forgive my tardiness. I usually take a walk while Myrcella has her music lesson. Today I ran into a stranger who'd fallen off his horse and needed assistance. It was tragic really." Your eyes met Jaime's and flashed mischievously as you spoke. Jaime bit back a laugh at your little jab. He knew there was no malice behind it and he admired your brazenness at being able to poke fun at your employer. "Sounds tragic indeed. It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Miss Y/L/N." You drew closer to him to reach out your hand. Jaime took it and placed a kiss to your knuckles. "It is nice to meet you as well, Lord Lannister."

*time skip*

Jaime ran his hand through his hair. What was wrong with him? He had the attention of one of the most beautiful women in the country. He knew she would marry him if he asked. In fact, he was hosting a party for the young lady's birthday and he knew many people were expecting him to pop the question. So what was the problem?

You. You were the problem. Ever since Jaime met you, he found himself staying home more often than not. He enjoyed your company, especially when you brought your sharp wit. He loved watching you with Myrcella. He'd even listened in on a few of your lessons. Your were brilliant, a great teacher, and Jaime was pleased to discover that even he was able to learn from you. The very thought of getting married and losing your company made Jaime rethink everything. But it wasn't until the party that he did anything about it.

Jaime had given you instructions to join the party after Myrcella was in bed that night. For some reason, he needed your company to get through it. When you finally appeared, a large smile appeared on Jaime's face. "My goodness, Lord Jaime, is that a smile I see?" The birthday girl asked with a coy grin. Jaime quickly turned his eyes back to her. "Of course."

Throughout the night, Jaime's eyes kept flitting back to you. At one point, you were talking to Petyr Baelish with a frown on your face. Your gaze met Jaime's for a moment before you looked away, said something to Petyr, and left the room without drawing attention to yourself. Jaime wasted no time in following after you.

"Are you not enjoying the party?" You turned around, the frown still on your beautiful lips. Jaime didn't like it when you frowned. "It's...not to my taste. And your intended doesn't seem to like me very much. I shall send out an advert for my replacement in the morning." Jaime's brows furrowed. You weren't making much sense.

"Why?" You laughed softly, humorlessly. "I cannot stay on as Myrcella's tutor if your future wife does not approve." Jaime shook his head. "I have no future wife. I have not declared my intentions for anyone." You crossed your arms over your chest. "That is not what I've heard. Everyone believes you are soon to be engaged to that beauty in there." Jaime shook his head yet again. "I would think you would no better than to listen to idle gossip, Y/N." Jaime could see the affect his use of your name had on you.

"What do you want from me, Lord Lannister?" you asked softly as he stepped closer to you. "I-I don't know. I have never been more confused than I have since you came into my life. I know what I feel for you is much more than an employer should feel for his employee. Much more than friendship. But I do not know what it is."

"Then I shall make the decision for you. I shall help you to find my replacement and then I shall leave. That should help." Jaime called after you as you walked away. He followed you, begging you to stop and listen to him. "I love you!" he finally cried, stopping you in your tracks. You turned slowly to meet his gaze once more.

"What?" you asked, eyes widened in disbelief. "I love you, Y/N. I love your stubbornness and sharp tongue. I love your passion and your sense of propriety. I love how you are with Myrcella. I have fought it for too long because of your station and society's expectations. But I can't any longer. I love you, Y/N. And I would ask for your hand, if you'll have me." You simply stared at him in surprise. It was the most passionate you'd heard Jaime speak about anything.

"But what about-" Jaime cut you off before you could finish forming the question in your mind. "She means nothing to me. Not like you. If you don't wish to marry me, then tell me now before I continue to make a fool of myself." You laughed a little at that. "I don't know. I quite like listening to you making a fool of yourself." Jaime rolled his eyes, but couldn't fight the smile on his face.

"Y/N, please...what is your answer?" You stepped closer to him until you were mere inches away. "My answer is yes, Jaime. We could be apart for a thousand years and my answer would still be yes." Jaime's smile grew. "I love you. Do you love me?" You grinned."I love you, Jaime Lannister." Jaime's hand came up to rest against your cheek and you sighed happily. It was sigh that was cut off as Jaime pressed his lips gently against yours.