Never Fake-Date Your Savior (Sandor Clegane x reader)

(This is a Modern/Mob AU based on a drabble I wrote on my Tumblr.)

How did this happen? That was the question you'd been asking yourself for the last several weeks. Ever since you figured out who the man who'd saved you from Roose Bolton's men was. You'd managed to trade one mob family for another. However, Sandor Clegane was nothing like Roose Bolton or his son. He had saved you the night you met him and had even given you his number so you could contact him as often as you felt unsafe.

You told him exactly how you'd gotten on the Bolton's radar and he called you stupid. It wasn't said to hurt you, but rather to stress just how poor your decision making in your dealings with the Boltons was. You realized that when the Bolton's men would not leave you alone. It got to the point where you were calling or texting Sandor every other day. It was getting tiresome, but luckily for you, Sandor came up with a brilliant idea.

"What?" you asked in disbelief as you stared at the scarred man. "As often as I see you, we might as well." You merely stared at him as your brain processed his words. "Let me get this straight," you managed to say after a few minutes, "You want to fake-date me and make it obvious until Roose and his cronies finally decide to leave me alone?" He nodded.

"Look, they leave you alone whenever I'm with you. We might as well make sure that's as often as possible without you having to pull me from work. And I don't have to listen to your whinging every time you see them." You glared at him. "I don't whinge," you muttered, but he heard you anyway and arched his brow. With a loud sigh, you said, "Fine. I know it's the best idea we've got. So, let's do it. What could possibly go wrong?"

*time skip*

Feelings. That's what could go wrong. You developed feelings for Sandor faster than you ever thought possible. Spending so much time with him, day in and day out lead to you falling head over heels in love with him. And you were doomed. Sandor was not a man who expressed feelings easily and he certainly had a very bleak outlook on love. There was no way he would ever, ever return your feelings.

You hid your growing adoration as best as you could. You stopped seeing him as often, which didn't help the whole Bolton situation. You kept conversations shorter unless you were out in public together. Anything you could do to avoid confronting your feelings, you tried. Eventually, however, you couldn't any longer.

One evening, you and Sandor planned a dinner "date" and for some reason it made you even more nervous than usual. You couldn't help feeling like something was going to happen. Good or bad, you didn't know. Just something. You just knew that your life was about to change again.

Dinner was a soft-spoken affair. That was typical. Sandor didn't talk much and when he did, it was either quiet enough so only you could hear or loud enough the entire restaurant could hear. No in between. After dinner, you were still feeling a bit antsy, so you asked Sandor to walk with you through a nearby park. He agreed, but was even more quiet than usual.

"What's up?" you asked when you were finally away from a crowd of people. Sandor didn't reply so you stopped walking and looked up at him. "Sandor..." He met your gaze and those deep brown eyes nearly had you drowning in them. "Are you okay?" He nodded, but you didn't believe him and asked again. "Sandor, I know something's bothering you. What is-"

"You." You blinked and your jaw dropped open in surprise. "Oh," was all you managed as you felt your heart twist in your chest. "I see," you croaked out, willing the tears not to come. You would not let that man see you cry over him.

"Why can't I get you out of my head?" he asked, almost too quietly for you to hear, "You're always there. I can't take it anymore. WHY? Why do I always see you staring at me with those (e/c) of yours? You don't look at me like everyone else does. Like I'm dangerous, which I am. My entire family is. You look at me like...like I mean something. "

At that, you felt the tears you wanted to stay away come to your eyes. "Sandor, you do mean something. You mean so much. I-I think I might..." you trailed off, unable to put your feelings into words. Instead, you stepped closer to him and placed a hand on his unscarred cheek. You gently guided him down so you could meet his lips, kissing him softly.

When you pulled away, Sandor was gazing down at you in surprise. He clearly had not been expecting that. While the two of you had shared small pecks, mostly on the cheek, to sell the idea that you were together, you'd never kissed on the lips before that moment. You gave him a soft smile.

Then, as suddenly as your happy moment came, it ended. Sandor glanced up and a frown made its way to his lips. "Oh," was all he said before backing away and heading in the opposite direction. You took off after him, confused until you looked over your shoulder. Bolton's men.

"Sandor," you panted, "Wait!" He stopped and whirled on you, fire blazing in his dark eyes. He was furious. "What was that about?" you managed to ask. He gave you a look that said, "Are you kidding me?"

"I knew we were pretending, but that was lower than I ever thought you capable of," he growled. Your brows knit together in confusion. "What?"

"Kissing me like that just because Bolton's men saw us again. I know I'm no prize, but you didn't have to...to-" he trailed off as you realized that he wasn't angry. He was hurt thinking that you only kissed him because you were pretending. You had to remind yourself that the man standing before you hadn't been shown real love in his entire adult life. "Sandor, I didn't even know they were there. Honestly. I kissed you because I wanted to. I've wanted to kiss you for a long time."

Sandor was silent, hanging on your every word. You continued, "When we started this, I was just grateful to be protected. But then I got to know you and spend time with you. I don't know when or even how it happened, but I fell and I fell hard. I love you, Sandor and nothing else matters. Not what people think, not the dangers from any other "families", not the Boltons, not even your brother. The only thing that matters at this moment is whether or not you love me too." You answer came in the form of the giant man pulling you to him and kissing you breathlessly.