38. Our own superheroes

Until, only a few days ago when Marinette and Adrien revealed their identities did she piece up what happened that fateful day. She pledged herself that she would protect her family no matter what. She doesn't know who has the butterfly miraculous but she knows that it will happen again.

Tears welled up in her eyes as the four assassins moved to side. She knew what she was going to see. A horrifying sight.

Her father.

All tied up with ropes around the chair. His crown was crooked and he looked very exhausted. His eyes half-lidded and mouth close, he was looking at the floor ashamed. His clothes were crumpled and sleeves were rolled up. To say in a sentence, he was exhausted and pained.

"Cause this is fate," Marinette thought.

Always happens to her loved ones...

3rd Person's POV

"Felix!" Bridgette cried out, her eyes widening. Chloe's hands flung towards her mouth in horror as Nathaniel stood there, gritting his teeth. Adrien was flabbergasted. Marinette wrapped her hands around her arms as tears dripped from her eyes. She stumbled backwards slightly, but enough time for Adrien to catch her. Gabriel just stood, not knowing how to feel or react.

"No. No. No. No. No. Dad?" She whimpered, digging her fingernails into the flesh of her arms. She could feel herself vibrating and shaking vigorously. She didn't what to do and how to feel. If someone had asked her how would she feel if the King of France was kidnapped, she wouldn't have cared as much. The queen just continued looking at the screen in horror but soon collapsed onto the floor.

"Bridgette!" Chloe yelled. "Quickly! Bring her to the palace doctors! Now!" Gabriel instructed the plum lady there, who was currently shaking.

"Yes sir!" She said frightened at the tone he used. With the help of a few other place maids, they managed to bring her there, Gabriel, Chloe, Nathaniel, Adrien and finally Marinette trailing behind them.

After a few minutes, the royal family doctor said, "Don't worry. She will be alright. She was just stressed and tired. She just needs some rest." He smiled kindly, shaking Gabriel's hand before taking his leave from the place.

"She will be fine, Marinette. Don't worry. Everything will work out in the end," Adrien soothed Marinette. Marinette slightly yanked his hands off.

"How would know Adrien? You don't know anything. You don't know how much I have suffered everyday. Having nightmares. Loosing everyone I love. Do you know how difficult it is being a princess and being superhero. I'm so tired Adrien. Tired of having to be afraid of everything. Tired of not having a peaceful life," Marinette screamed, choking and crying.

"What do mean, M'lady?" Adrien asked confused and shocked at her outburst. It wasn't surprise that she wanted a normal life but what did she mean by loosing everyone I love. Marinette on the hand, replayed what she told to her kitty as her eyes widened in realisation. She wasn't supposed to tell anything to anyone. Nothing about Chat Blanc. Nothing about anything.

"I-i," she started stuttering before getting cut off by a very hoarse yet soft voice. "Marinette?" Bridgette called out to her daughter weakly. "Maman!" Marinette rushed to her mother's side.

"You are ok! You are ok, right?" Marinette asked. Bridgette smiled weakly. All she could was to encourage her daughter. She has to be brave for her.

"Yes, sweetie. I'm fine. I just feel so tired. I don't think I have the energy to help you or to even get up," Bridgette said, wearily as she sluggishly places her hands on Marinette's laps. Marinette squeezed her hand in comfort.

"Marinette, you have to be strong. Strong for me. Strong for your father but mostly to yourself. You must keep persevering, Mari. Experiencing loss is a part of life: some people lose their first love, some lose the harmony in their relationship. Some people lose hope, others lose patience, while others lose their soul. Some lose their certainties, and some have nothing to lose. Experiencing loss is a part of life, but good things come, too.

Expect the unexpected, and embrace it. Each first-time is an adventure, and who knows how far these adventures will lead you. You find people to whom you entrust your heart, as much as they entrust theirs to you. That trust is sometimes broken, but it can always be restored. Yes, sometimes the road can be winding - you might even get lost along the way. But with the help from the right people, you'll always find your destination.

As we grow old, we realize life doesn't always give us all the gifts we hoped it would. You mustn't be scared, and you mustn't be sad. Again, experiencing loss is a part of life, but it doesn't define it. Because what really matters isn't whether you win or lose. It's the ability to accept changes in ourselves. It's accepting that even if life doesn't always give us the gifts we were hoping for, the real gift is life itself. Understanding is the first thing to acceptance and only with acceptance can there be recovery. There is an 'if' in life and our lives are never what we expect it to be.

I have came to except fate. No one likes fate Marinette but it happens. No one like it. No one wants it. Everyone would love to rewrite their destiny but we were born in this world and we were written to be as such so Mari, sweetie fight. Fight until you get what you want. Fight till the end. And in this story we have to be our own superhero. So fight. All of you. Be your own heroes," Bridgette exclaimed.

Marinette smiled sadly at her mother, nodding her. Yeah, in this story, she has to be her own superhero. "I will take care of this, Maman. And I will fight until the end. Until my last breathe, I will fight." She said firmly as she kissed her mother forehead and walked towards Adrien.

"I'm sorry Adrien. I shouldn't have shouted at you. I love you so much and my mother is right. We have to accept fate and move on, make better choices in future that could go a long way. Like she said, we are our own superheroes this time. Our fate is in our hands," Marinette said, eyeing Chloe and Nathaniel at the same time. A smile formed on Adrien's lips.

"Let's do this, M'lady. It is us against the world yet again." Adrien replied. Gabriel nodded his head. "What are we waiting for?" Chloe called out. The four heroes looked at each other. They knew what to do and they will do it till the end.

"Tikki, Spots on! Plagg, Claws out! Trixx, Let's pounce! Wayzz, Shell on!" They yelled in unison, determined. They rushed out of the room's window, leaving two proud parents behind.