Chapter 46

Apparently, Markos wanted to be found.

They'd been working on trying to find him, on top of attempting to locate Caroline and Tyler, who were still M.I.A. Every spell the twins and Bonnie tried seemed to be experiencing the equivalent of a call going straight to voicemail. The blood they tried never moved. Liz and Carol had each given a donation, and yet the crimson blobs refused to go anywhere on the map, as if the Travelers had become strong enough to block Locator Spells.

Then, at last, they had their lead.

It started with visions. Elena had come up to Maddy, awkwardly informing her that she'd been having very uncharacteristic blackouts where she faded into a sort of dream reality showing her what it would have been like for her if she'd gone on to marry Stefan.

"It's really starting to unsettle me," said Elena nervously. "Like, in this fantasy, we have kids and we're... human and happy together."

"Elijah's gonna be jealous," said Maddy teasingly, though she was pretty concerned to hear this. "Were you looking at old journal entries from when you were with Stefan, or something?" She figured this could be attributed to her bringing up old memories.

"No," replied Elena. "It just started happening, I don't know why."

As it turned out, the same thing was happening to Stefan, which let them know that this wasn't normal.

"Maybe," mused Bonnie while they waited for the Parker twins to get to the Boarding House, "it's because Stefan and Elena are now the last pair of doppelgängers. Now that Tom is dead..."

"And you're certain they're not sex dreams?" asked Enzo innocently from the couch.

Stefan made a face. "For once, can I have a brother that doesn't make every situation unbelievably uncomfortable?"

Enzo smirked, holding up his hand as Damon high-fived him.

"They're not sex dreams," said Elena firmly. "They're more like... romance dreams."

"I can't imagine Elijah will be too chuffed to hear about that," mentioned Damon.

Elena made a face. "For your information, I already told him. It's abnormal, I know that for a fact. He says that he's going to do some research about doppelgängers to see what he can find. Maybe there's a reason for this."

"I can guess the reason," said Enzo, batting his eyelashes. "Stefan and Elena wish to mesh their bodies together—"

"Shut up," said Elena, though she laughed it off to ease the tension when she saw the face that Stefan was making.

"The Travelers might be who we need to ask," said Bonnie dejectedly. "But I'm not sure how that's going to work, considering we haven't been able to find them no matter how many spells we do."

"Well, they're our only lead," said Maddy. "This could be connected to their freaky mass suicide. What else could have caused Stefan and Elena— who haven't been romantically involved in ages— to have these intense visions of each other?"

There was a knock on the door. Elena went to open it, smiling when she saw the twins. "Great, you got our text."

"Yeah, and we can't do shit about this," said Liv, rolling her eyes as if Luke had been the one to force her to come here.

Damon scoffed. "Do you mean you can't stop their visions?"

Luke cast him an exasperated look. "Our magic doesn't work like that. We're not bigger than the universe. You guys said that the visions seem to be drawing Elena and Stefan together for something, right?"