one

"i have to write a song with that fuck face?" ariana groaned to scooter as she sat in the chair across from his desk.

the man smirked as he leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms at the small woman. "yes, ariana. that is exactly what i am saying."

   "god, kill me now," she whispered to herself, her fingertips pressing into her brow bones. a hand came in contact with her shoulder and she looked up, her eyes landing on her fiancé.

   "it's alright, babe. it's just one song and then you can be done with her." dalton spoke calmly, rubbing his fiancée's shoulder. "and you don't have to be friends with her—your relationship can be strictly business."

   ariana huffed but nodded, standing up forcefully from the chair. swinging her purse over her arm, she held out her hand to scooter. "phone number, please." she snapped, sending her manager a look.

   scooter only rolled his eyes, scribbling down the number on a piece of paper before smacking it down in ariana's hand. "there you are, princess."

   ariana's eyes squinted as she tilted her head, turning around to grab dalton's hand in hers. she pulled him out of the office, unaware of the kind wave he sent to her manager as an apology.

   the door slammed behind the two as ariana made angry steps down the hall, shaking her head at the paper in her hand. "i can't fucking believe this shit." she yelled, shoving the paper in her pocket.

   "ariana, chill out." dalton attempted to calm her down again, only receiving a look in response. he held his free hand up in defense, his eyes widening.

   "look, i understand you're upset. and i mean, i am too! she could try something on you and freak you out, and then i would have to go and beat her—"

   ariana paused, placing her hand against her fiancé's chest as she faced him. "dalton, i love you, i do. but, if you tried to beat her ass you would be crushed. and plus, you won't ever have to, because i'll shut her down the second i meet her."

   ariana had a feeling that the girl she was supposed to write a song with would pull at least something with her—because who didn't? but before that could even happen, she would shut it down before she even introduced herself. then, it couldn't happen and it wouldn't happen.

   dalton smiled at this, the wrinkles around his mouth prominent. "good. i trust you, but i've never met this girl so i can't say i feel the same for her." he took in a large breath as they stepped outside, his eyes immediately catching a man with a camera in the bushes.

   he rolled his eyes, continuing. "i know everyone says she sweet and all, but i don't believe it. it's all bullshit—no one can be that fucking nice to everyone."

   ariana nodded her head, silently agreeing with him.

   they stepped into the uber quickly, ariana pulling her phone out immediately. she grabbed the slip of paper as well, typing the number into her phone.

   "i can't believe i have to do this shit! like, her music isn't even fucking good and it's all sad. who is that fucking sad that every one of their songs reflects that—it's annoying! like jesus, have some spirit at least once in your goddamn life."

   dalton chewed on his cheek beside her, nodding his head at her sudden outbreak. "sure. but you never know, she could be going through some real shit that we don't know about." he shrugged, trying to reason even though he didn't like the songwriter either.

   ariana rolled her eyes, looking over to dalton with an annoyed expression on her face. "i didn't ask you." she spat, rolling her eyes again as she turned back to the phone.