one

a/n: y'all bitches are GREEDY

   "come on baby, i wanna make it to our seats before the show starts!" ariana groaned, pulling on her boyfriend's arm.

   today was the AMA'S. ariana had been waiting for today for a while. even though she had decided to retire from music for a while to focus on r.e.m beauty and filming for 'wicked,' she was still invited to music events every year.

   why wouldn't she be? she was ariana grande for gods sake.

   the couple made their way to their reserved seats, and soon enough the show began. there were a few performances placed in between awards, a few of them by friends of ariana's.

the host this year was also one of ariana's close friends, amala, otherwise known as doja cat.

as doja stepped back on stage in her long, black dress, the crowd erupted yet again. doja dramatically waved them off with a loud giggle. "okay, okay, shut up!" she yelled into the mic, making everyone laugh and stop their clapping.

doja smiled. "great. next we have a performance by a very good friend of mine, one that i know we all love dearly. coming to us with a sneak peek of her new album 'youngblood,' please welcome my bestie, y/n!"

   ariana's heart dropped to her feet as she heard her name and the lights dimmed. for four years, she had tried to avoid that name at all costs, but somehow it always found its way to her.

   she was nervous to see y/n. she hadn't seen her in four years, neither in person or just in pictures, no matter how badly she wanted to look. if she did, she knew she'd crumble all over again.

   the lights on the stage went blue and red, and ariana's eyes immediately found y/n standing on stage. she watched as y/n swung her guitar behind her back and adjusted the mic stand before she shook out her body just like she did before every performance.

   everyone chuckled at the signature as the instrumental began to play. the laughs of the crowd enticed a giggle from y/n that was picked up by the microphone in front of her. ariana's heart warmed at the familiar sound, her grip on her boyfriend's hand subconsciously loosening.

"Can't help but wondering if this
Is the last time that I'll see your face
Is it tears or just the pouring rain?
Wish I could say something
Something that doesn't sound insane
But lately I don't trust my brain
You tell me I won't ever change
So I just say nothing

No matter where I go, I'm always gonna want you back
No matter how long you're gone, I'm always gonna want you back
I know you know I will never get over you
No matter where I go, I'm always gonna want you back
Want you back"

   y/n licked her dry lips as she pulled the mic off the stand, wandering around the stage as she continued to sing.

"I remember the freckles on your back
And the way that I used to make you laugh
Cause you know every morning I wake up
Yeah I still reach for you
I remember the roses on your shirt
When you told me this would never work
You know even when I say I've moved on
Yeah I still dream for you"

   ariana felt her throat grow tight as y/n went to sing the chorus again. there was no doubt in her mind that the song was about her, about how they broke up.