thirty five

a/n: some of yall bout to be real mad at me.......but at least the title is coming back full swing 🙌

——

february 7

"i'm about to go on stage in five, i've gotta go." y/n sighed over the phone. ariana smiled softly. "that's alright. we can talk after, yeah? uh, good luck." ariana spoke, brushing her fingers through her hair.

y/n frowned. weird.

"a-alright, talk later. i love you, ari." she replied before quickly hanging up the phone. a stage manager, sadie, brushed past y/n as she talked to someone over her earpiece. "hey, sadie! can you put my phone back in my dressing room when you can? thanks." sadie smiled and gladly took her phone, instantly walking in the direction of the dressing room.

y/n sighed again, running her hands through her hair. no matter how many times she had done this, she always got nervous right before. she cracked her knuckles and her neck, shaking out her legs and her arms like she always did before a show. she was back in her home state of louisiana which gave her some piece of mind, and she knew that miles and his parents were here, too. her friends that had stayed in new orleans after high school were also there.

"carter, you good man?" frank asked as he slapped her shoulder, snapping her out of it. y/n shook her head out, "yeah. i'm good. just a little nervous, like always."

   frank smiled a little, ruffling her already messy hair. "you'll do good, kid. you always do. now, go have fun, you literally have like thirty seconds."

——

   y/n groaned to herself, turning away from the crowd as she wiped her face with her shirt. people started to hoot behind her, making her laugh as she turned back around.

"shhh," she whispered into the mic, shaking her finger. "my girlfriend will get mad, don't do that." she joked, a smile painting across her face. the crowd laughed and y/n joined with them, her heart only growing three sizes.

performing was one of her favorite things to do. to hear the crowd singing with her, some holding their partners as they sang to each other, and friends clutching to each other as the cried.

y/n ultimate goal with her music was to make people feel. and every time she performed, it confirmed that she had succeeded. whether it was love, sadness, or happiness; she had succeeded.

"okay, okay, shut up now." she held up her hand, shaking it to silence the crowd. they went quiet, and you could quite literally hear a pin drop. y/n raised her eyebrows in shock. "damn y'all really went quiet."

everyone laughed before it went silent again, and y/n walked back to the front of the stage. she took a seat on the stool, propping up her feet on the bar.

"okay, sooo," y/n dragged out, kicking her feet like a schoolgirl, earning a few giggles. "i'm like...in looovee." the crowd erupted in screams again, and y/n dramatically pushed her invisible hair behind her ear, even if it was tied up and out of her face.

"i know, right?! and y'all know what i do when i'm in love...i write a shit ton of music. so, for our last song—" they erupted again in to sounds of complaints. "—ugh, i know! but girl i need sleep and so do you freaks. but! for our last song tonight, i want to play something that no one has heard yet."

screams and more screams.

y/n turned to the band and gave them a thumbs up, grabbing her guitar for one last time that night as she swung it across her body. turning back to the crowd, she flashed them a smile. "ight, let's go."