fourteen

song used: Novacane by Frank Ocean

——

i sighed, turning off the equipment in my home studio before making my way upstairs. i've been working my absolute ass off these past few months, and it was really starting to get to me.

   the only thing that kept me grounded and going was ariana. if we weren't seeing each other in person, she was facetiming, calling, and texting me to catch up.

   it was late, and i was ready to go to bed. i switched off the lights in my living room and slumped onto the couch, not even having the strength to climb the stairs to my bed.

   i lazily covered myself with a blanket, wrapping my arms around my pillow as i quickly started to fall asleep. and i swear, just as i was about to fall, my phone rang.

   i groaned, shoving my face into my pillow before grabbing my phone from the side table. i answered without looking, holding the phone to my ear.

   "hello?" i grumbled, laying my head back down on the pillow. there was a small chuckle from the other end of the call. "hey, kid. you alright over there?"

   i smiled, instantly recognizing the voice as mr. martin, my high school theatre teacher. i sat up a little, wiping my eyes. "mr. martin! hey! um, i'm alright, just really tired lately. don't spill the beans, but i'm already writing a new album."

   mr. martin started to clap his hands. "my lips are sealed, kid. but! i've got a question for you." i hummed in response, telling him to go on. "so, the school year is just starting up, as you know. and at the end of last year, the kids were pondering over what show they wanted to do. we've been practicing all summer, and next week we're doing beauty and the beast."

   "they all knew you were in my class, and were wondering if you would want to come see them on opening night? it's next friday, if you aren't busy and or interested."

"oh wow, of course! that's great, i will most definitely be there. and uh, do you mind if i bring a guest with me?" i asked, pushing my hair off my forehead.

"sure you can! i'll email you two tickets when we hang up. so i'll see you friday?" he asked with his voice now much more cheerful, if that was even possible.

   i chuckled, wiping my hand over my face. "of course you will. thanks for the invite, i'll see you friday." we bid our goodbyes and hung up, making me sigh. i quickly turned on an alarm before putting my phone back on the table, trying to fall back asleep.

——

   the next morning, ariana was coming over for breakfast. i had already cooked everything up and had it at the island, so i was just waiting for her to get here.

   i didn't have to wait long because she walked into the kitchen not even a minute after i set everything down. i finished up cleaning down the countertops before making my way over to her, my arms wide.

   ariana smiled as i wrapped my arms around her waist, picking her up off the floor. i swung us back and forth as she giggled into my ear, making my heart flutter. i gently placed her back on the floor and kept my arms around her.

   "morning cutie. what's got you so hyper?" she greeted, standing on her toes to peck my lips. i shrugged, grabbing her hand and walking her over to the food. she carefully sat down in one of the stools and i sat next to her.

"i dunno. guess i just got a good nights sleep. oh, and last night i got a lot of good progress on the album, so i'm excited about that. i just have a few more songs to finish on the next few months and then i'm set." i said, taking some eggs and shoving them into my mouth.