Part 28

"Ahhh!!" I yelped turning my head. "Piper over here!!" Someone yelled to me. The lights continued to flash. "Paparazzi!?" I asked shocked. Questions were being fired at me faster than I could comprehend them. I began to get flustered and sweaty. I felt my nerves build up in my stomach. Questions still being thrown at me. I was hyperventilating, finally the anxiety got to be to much. "EVERYBODY SHUT IT!!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. The noise stopped except for a few flashes here and there. Everyone looked shocked to see this happen. Eyes bludging mouth hanging open. "Umm, thanks." I said pulling myself out of the crowd to the Meer's car. The Meers followed me to their car. It felt weird having them follow me to their car. I got into the back of their blue SUV, and shut the door. The Meers filed in after me. Their expressions had not changed since the "outburst". There was an awkward silence, filling up the air in the car. "Sorry." I spoke first softly. Then Mr. Meer started laughing. Not the reaction I was expecting. Then James soon started chuckling, Mrs. Meer also joined in leaving me no choice but to laugh myself. "What are we laughing at!" I gasped between fits of laughter. "Piper, that was awesome!" James chocked out still laughing. Everybody laughed harder. "Honestly I was nervous and that's what happened." I confessed, a bit embarrassed. The laugher had died down. "That's normal Piper!" Mrs.Meer cheerily smiled. "I'm so sorry I dragged you into this!" I confessed to the Meers.
"Oh dont be silly dear! We are lucky to have you in our lives." Mrs.Meer said crying.
************************************
1 week later.
I went back to school a week after I was released. I was a sophomore. I had learned to control my crutches but I was no pro. I got off the bus ad was making my way to the science classroom. I got to the door and it hit me. Mr. Hartman was dead. I had been to his funeral. It was aweful. People I'd never seen before bawling. People hugging me and acting strangely. But I did it for him. I started crying softly to myself, clutching his door handle. I heard footsteps approaching me and looked up. I grimaced at the face I saw. "Hi Sydney." I mumbled angry. She put her hand on my shoulder. "Hey look we are 16 now. We can drop this whole bullying thing." I told her removing her hand. To my surprise she hugged me. She wrapped her huge burley arms around me. Crutches and all. "Piper, I know what I did is unforgivable, but I had no idea about that, and I'm sorry." She apologized with tears in her squinted green eyes. It sort of irked me. She had terrorized me since elementary school. On the other hand I had to say, I was pleased she had apologized. "Sydney, I don't know what to say." I said smoothing my hair back. "Then don't." She said turning away. "Wait!" I yelled just catching her wrist. "Yeah?" Sydney Asked looking down. "I forgive you." I confessed smiling. "It takes a big person to apologize." She stood there in awe for a moment. I looked at her with a new light. Now that she wasn't my bully, I noticed her beautiful green eyes, and white teeth. She really wasn't that big either. Taller yes but heavier not by much though. She was really nice. And maybe we could work on people skills. "Thank you Piper." Sydney cried, hugging me yet again. "Dude your crushing me!" I squeaked. "Sorry, I've never had a friend before." Sydney told me letting go. "Neither have I, we can be new to this together!" I said smiling. "That sounds good to me Piper!" Sydney whooped skipping down the hall.
***************************************************************************
2 months later

The paparazzi had stopped their endless chase for me by then. My mother and father had been sentenced to life in prison, without bail. The court case was over within a week. I was living evidence. Both my parents tried to plead insanity, but it was over ruled. James and I were "dating" and Sydney and I had become the best of friends. With them locked up and my life un twisted I was able to focus on school, a job and my makeshift family. I had moved in with Sydney and her parents, who were unbelievably nice people. They were one of the wealthiest families in our town. I paid them each month for food, the room, and part of heating and water. I he a real life and I was proud.
*******************************************************************************
2 years later
I graduated from high school as valedictorian. I wish Mr.Hartman could have been there to see me. I still miss him. I plan to go to CFCC in the fall to get a degree in sociology. I went to be a social work to help the kids like I was get more out of life. I graduated college with a masters in sociology. Soon after I got a job in a local child services department, and started talking with the kids. I can't tell you how much I loved it. So many kids in similar situations as me. I will always feel fortunate that I was able to turn my life around.