Part 12

I woke in the morning to a little pink tounge licking my ear. "Eww! Bean cut it out!" I laughed picking up my new found friend. She Yipped happily and squirmed so I would put her down. "Okay Bean here you go" I said setting the dog down. I got dresses in an old tye dye T-shirt and a pair of shorts overalls. I walked out of the tent with Bean at my heels. I fed bean a handful of raspberries and then ate some myself. Bean looked at me begging for more. The bushes berries were dwindling, there  was not enough berries to take care of both of us. There was only 2 cans of soup. "Crap!" I yelled in pure frustration. "Bean what are we going to do!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

  (3 months later)

  I was starving. Literally. Not just I'm starving exaggeration, I was actually starving. The berries were almost gone. Bean and I had survived on 2 berries every week for 3 months. I was abandoned in mid April, bean showed up in may so it was early august. It was sweltering. The cans of soup were eaten a while ago, when Bean tried to eat my leg. Not as funny and comical as it sounds. It hurt!  She literally nawed on my leg, I could not detach her from my leg. She is still way to small to cause much damage but she had grown tons. I grew weak, bean did not move. We both sat in the tent everyday, doing nothing. Living on 2 raspberries a week is tough. Bean hated them. One day after weeks and weeks of raspberries I had had enough. I got out of the tent and grabbed the curved stick I had found months before. I opened the book James had given me, and turned to the page labeled, handcrafted woods wepans. There were pages on snares, which I could not make with my limited experience and resources. Then I saw it. The page titled beginner hand crafted bow and arow. That's what I would make. I grabbed the curved stick, and drilled holes at either end with my knife. Then I tied fishing line through both holes, so the line went along the back of the branch. I pulled it tight and made sure it was springy. (is that a right word to use?) I grabbed a long sturdy twig and and set  it up with the line. I pulled it back until my arm was almost fully extended. I let go of the arrow and it only went about 2 feet in front of me. I would hurt about squat. "Well Piper you really need to work on that." I said frustrated with myself. Before I got to carried away with shooting just a twig through the air, I needed to make it sharp. First I sharpened the tip of the stick until it was so sharp, it hurt to tap the tip. I grabbed one of the empty soup cans and put it maybe 10 feet away from me. I pulled back on the bow just like before. I aimed just a bit higher than the can, and let the arrow fly. It did not hit the can. It was not even close. "Ughh, why can't I do anything!" I could not get my parents to love me, I could get no friends, and the guy who maybe kinda liked me ran away crying. I could do nothing. "We need food." I said to no one. I couldn't just give up. I was at it for hours. Finally at sunset I hit the can. The arrow pierced the thin metal skin. "Yes!!" I screamed raising my arms in victory. "YESSSSSS!!!!!" I continued screaming while running around my clearing. I grabbed Bean from the tent and had her run around with me. "We are going to have food Bean!" I yelled scooping up my much heavier puppy. Bean was 2 times the size she was when I found her.  That night we both induldged in a few handfuls of raspberries and with are bellies fuller then they had been in a long time we drifted off to sleep. I loved having bean. I felt so much more secure with a dog. It was a nice feeling. For the first time since April I actually felt safe, and like I had a family.