Chapter 16

"My lord?", I called out the moment I stepped foot into Gwi's palace.

"Finally."

Turning, I watched as Gwi emerged from the direction of the library. He looked bored. More than usual at least. My hands clutched the book I held to my chest as I bowed to him.

"What took you so long?"

"Forgive me my lord. I had some errands to run earlier. I didn't think it would take so long-"

"Nevermind that." He waved me off, strolling over to his seat. He sat, then reached out to me.

"I'm hungry. Come here."

I licked my lips nervously, but obeyed nonetheless. It had been a while since he fed from me. I hoped he was gentle.

When I got close enough, he grabbed my arm and pulled me into his lap, causing me to drop the book in my hands as I reached out to steady myself. I pulled my hand away from where it had landed on his chest, trying to ignore the feeling of his arm around my waist.

"Is this what happens when I give you a little vacation? Barely a week away from me and all your boldness is gone", he said, tilting his head. I could hear the slight amusement in his voice, but chose to say nothing, looking away and slightly baring my neck to him in the process.

He was quiet for a moment, then chuckled and reached for my nape. He was always gentle with the way he tilted my head, exposing my neck just the way he wanted it.

Then I felt the familiar piercing of skin.

Gasping, I fisted the fabric I felt beneath my fingertips. Pain. Pleasure. What was the difference? The lines were too blurred for me to tell. I just... felt.

The feeling lasted forever, but ended as suddenly as it had begun.

As he extracted his fangs from my skin, I immediately slumped down and gave into the familiar exhaustion. As usual, he lapped up the bloodstains on my neck then gently wiped it with a silk sleeve. It was silent after that, the only movement coming from my slow breaths.

"What did you mean, errand?"

I blinked my eyes open in confusion.

"Pardon?"

Gwi's brows were furrowed slightly, the way they did when he was trying to make sense of something so insignificant but annoyingly baffling- and usually human.

"You said you were late because you had some errands to run. I thought I made it clear that as long as you belonged to me you weren't allowed to do such menial tasks?", he pondered. I swallowed.

"It was a personal errand, my lord", I explained. He stared at me blankly, his piercing gaze urging me to elaborate.

"I need- wanted some new books to read. I'm finished with all the ones available at home", I added. He narrowed his eyes at me, clearly not satisfied with my explanation.

"New books", he said, then suddenly gathered me in his arms and stood up without warning. I grasped at the front of his robe, feeling dizzy with the sudden movement. He kept talking even as he walked, probably taking me to the bedchamber.

"You went out, by yourself, to get new books. Completely disregarding the fact that there is an entirely stocked library in this palace which is ultimately useless to me?"

"It belongs to my lord. I dared not assume..."

He huffed, annoyed.

"You're my pet. As long as you don't try to betray me, I don't care what you do. There's no secret of mine that you would find out unless I told you anyway, if that's what you think I may be worried about. Nothing in that library can help you in that sense unless I explained it to myself."