Chapter 27

Hello everyone!

It's been a while. Months really. I'm so sorry. I always say I'll be more regular but then I'm not😅 In all honesty I just get really intimidated by the task of altering the original storyline of the drama. So far I'd like to think I'm doing a good enough job but we haven't reached any major plot point. Yet. We're getting really close and I'm pushing through. I just have to force myself to fight the spirit of procrastination.

But anyway here's the double update. I would've like to add more but the next chapters aren't ready so you'll have to wait a little bit more. But not too long.

Enjoy!🤗

=====================

Gwi's POV

I nuzzled lazily into Eunhee’s neck, her familiar scent making me feel even more sated than with just the blood I consumed. Her breathing was slow and gentle, but since I hadn’t taken a lot from her I wasn’t too worried. I raised a hand to stroke her temple lightly.

“Do you feel alright?” I asked quietly. She gave a tiny nod in response, sighing.

“Sleepy?”

Another nod.

I carefully gathered her up in my arms and took her to the bedchamber. As I placed her on the bed, she made a small noise and her eyes began to flutter open. Her hand twitched, reaching out towards me as I straightened up.

“Mm… my lord?”

I sat on the edge of the bed, picking up her hand and bringing it to my lips.

“Sleep, darling. I have some things to attend to. I will be back before dawn breaks.”

She hummed at that, her eyes closing again and her breathing turning more relaxed as she fully slipped into slumber. I sighed, already annoyed by what I was leaving her to do.

***
The king stood before me, his red robes stark in contrast against the muted colours in the dimly lit chamber. Just the sight of him irritated me.

He wasn’t a complete pawn like the others and as admirable as that was, it was highly inconvenient for me at times. However in the past few years he had been quite obedient. Already bored, I decided to cut straight to the chase to not waste any more time.

“Call the Crown Prince back to the palace. And Eumlan Seosaeng. I want whoever it is to be captured as soon as possible”, I ordered. The old man’s eyes narrowed slightly and met mine defiantly.

“No”, he countered. I tilted my head at the sheer audacity. He seemed awfully confident today, didn’t he?

“No?” I repeated. A chuckle left my lips as the king lifted his head higher.

“No. I refuse. And I should warn you, I’ve taken measures to ensure that if you get rid of me, the word of your existence will immediately be released to the entire country, perhaps even the whole world. My son had told me what he knew before he passed; of the contents of Prince Jeonghyeon’s diary. And I intend to find out the rest.”

I scoffed at that.

“No form of weapon or method exists that can destroy me. Your search is futile. I would think you would have resigned yourself to that fact by now.”

Still stubborn, the king replied, “Then kill me.”

I stalked closer, my fangs growing longer and baring in a snarl. The king appeared to steel himself in preparation for whatever I would do. But as I got within a mere hand’s width away from his face, I paused. Huffing, I stepped back in annoyance.

“Forget it. I’ll let you find your own disappointment. And when you fail to find this Eumlan Seosaeng, I’ll kill you and your precious heir myself”, I mused. With one last glare at the red-clothed man, I left the room.

On my way out, I passed by the well that the former Crown Prince spent his last days in.

Sungyeol had appeared that day, the annoying child. I was sure he had been able to get some information from Sadong before he passed. But it had been over a century already. You would have thought he would have accomplished something against me by now.

I raised my eyes, staring into the darkness shrouding the overlapping rooftops. The moon retreated behind the clouds, hiding itself and taking its light along with it.

 The moon retreated behind the clouds, hiding itself and taking its light along with it

I walked away, heading out into the city. I needed to hunt fast and return before Eunhee woke.

***
A few drained beggars and travellers later, I emerged from the outskirts of the city and made my way to the palace. It had taken a bit longer than I expected, but dawn wasn’t breaking yet so I still had time.

Striding into the underground palace, I discarded my bloodstained robes and changed into new ones before heading into the bedchamber to check on Eunhee. She was still asleep, clutching one pillow to her chest as she curled into herself. Satisfied, I left the bedchamber and went to busy myself with other things.

Not long after, I heard the muffled sounds of footsteps echoing outside in the stone corridor. Moments later, the routine bangs on the steel door echoed throughout the chamber. It took a while, but Eunhee finally emerged, looking a bit rustled from sleep.

She looked around briefly before her eyes found mine and she bowed, still too out of it to show much emotion. I smiled.

“I will take my leave now, my lord”, she said, dismissing herself. I nodded, and in a split second I was in front of her. She blinked at the sudden movement before looking up to meet my eyes.

“Did you sleep well?”, I asked. She nodded, a small smile forming on her lips as she slowly became more awake. I hummed, satisfied.

“Alright. You can go. Don’t fall asleep in the gama.”

She nodded and turned away to leave, but not fast enough that I didn’t catch the pout on her face from my teasing. Her full chima rustled along the floor as she left, and the screech of the steel door rang out as she went through it. Her footsteps got farther and farther, until I could hear them no more.

And I was left alone with my thoughts.
I sighed, frustrated. That king had gotten a lot of guts since the emergence of Eumlan Seosaeng. And with Sungyeol back…

I needed to go ahead with the dormant plan. It was about time.

***
The black-robed figure watched Gwi turn away and head out into the city. He chose not to follow, noting- admitting to himself that he too hadn’t fed for a while either. With all the energy he had lost these past few days, it wasn’t wise to pursue Gwi but rather focus fully on the task at hand.

“The way… is people.”

The man sighed. That was all the information he managed to retrieve from the late Crown Prince Sadong before he succumbed to his inflicted injuries that fateful night. But… more. He needed more.

Straightening up, he made to leave.
As little as it was, the late Crown Prince’s statement was at the very least, a start. No matter how… unhelpful it seemed at first. He looked over to the dry well. Gwi was long gone now, out in the city to hunt. To feed on innocent humans.

Sungyeol ignored the pang of guilt in his chest and left the palace.