Chapter 5

I rubbed my trembling hands as I walked behind my father. We made our way through the familiar stone corridor, ending up in front of the huge stone door. I was full on trembling now, it was a surprise my legs hadn't given out.

Father opened the door and turned to me, obviously expecting me to walk in. I turned to him, my eyes blurry from unshed tears. His averted gaze made me realise how hopeless the entire situation was, so with clenched fists, I turned away and entered the underground palace.

I had barely stepped inside before the door was shut and sealed behind me. I stood there, just staring at it. I didn't move. I couldn't.

"Surely you don't expect me to come fetch you this time?", I heard a voice say, making me jump. I swallowed. Turning away from the door, I made my way into the main chamber. Then I saw him.

Gwi was sitting on his stone seat, head propped up by a hand and his other arm on his raised knee. He looked at me with a bored look on his face, then raised his head, his eyebrows furrowed slightly. He gestured for me to come closer so I did, hesitantly.

Stopping right in front of him, I kept my head down and waited for his next order. Suddenly a finger was under my chin, raising my head to face him. He narrowed his eyes.

"The bags under your eyes...they're more pronounced than last time. Don't tell me I kept you awake?", he said, ending with a smirk. I looked away, feeling a blush creeping up my neck. He put his hand down and hummed, like he was thinking. Suddenly he turned away.

"Follow me", he said simply before walking. I blinked, confused, then noticed that he had stopped walking. I immediately rushed up behind him and he continued walking.

He led me into a large room with rows and rows of shelves filled with books. It was beautiful. I'd never seen so many books in the same place. Distracted by the view, I was startled when Gwi suddenly dropped a stack of books in my arms. I almost dropped them in surprise.

"Put them in their right place. When you're done with these there's some more on the table", he explained, seeing my puzzled look. I looked at the table in question and saw about four more stacks of books on them. I turned back to him.

"Yes, my Lord", I answered. He said nothing, just stared at me for a second before turning and the main chamber. I looked down at the books. Wasn't he planning on feeding...?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Four stacks of organized books later and I was left with a bunch of books that were on top shelves, out of my reach. I sighed at them, pouting. The chairs in there didn't have a lot of leverage in the situation but they were all I had.

I contemplated asking Gwi if he could help but decided against it, although he could reach the shelves in question with ease. I dragged a chair to the shelves and started to put the books away. I was struggling to put one away, in hind sight I should have just moved the chair.

My weight on one side unbalanced it and a small cry escaped my lips as I realised I was losing my balance. Before I knew it I had toppled over, the chair falling and the rest of the books in my hand being thrown into the air. But I never touched the ground.

Arms under my waist and legs stopped me from hitting the ground but before I could look up, an open book landed on my head, the rest landing on the floor. Gwi put me down and took the book off my head.

"If you needed help you should've just asked", he pointed, flipping through the book. He calmly pulled the chair up and climbed it, slotting the book in its place before looking down at me.

"Aren't you going to get those?", he asked, pointing at the books on the floor. I bent to pick them all up and handed them to him. He put them all back then got down.

"Put this back then come to the inner chamber", he said, pushing the chair to me. I nodded as he turned to leave. Gripping the back of the chair tightly, I watched as the knuckles on my trembling hands turned white.

I put the chair back silently. Well there was nothing I could do about it now. Might as well get it over with.

I left the library and went straight to the inner chamber. He was already there, staring at a large chest in the corner of the room. Noticing me, he walked over and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Do you like gayageum music, Eunhee?",he asked. I blinked. Why this question out of the blue?

"Y-Yes. I do", I answered, nothing else coming to my head. He sent his hand higher and held my chin lightly, hummed something under his breath then turned away, back to the chest.

"Take off your shoes and sit on the bed. "

My breath hitched. Swallowing, I did as he ordered as he opened the chest. I had just sat down when he turned around with the most beautiful gayageum I'd ever seen.

It was dark polished wood with blossoms carved into each end, redwood for the sides and back. The anjok were made of what looked like polished birch, white and gleaming.

"I'm feeling a bit bored

"I'm feeling a bit bored. I haven't played in a while since I've been so busy...", he said. He was going to play?

I watched as he strolled over with the beautiful instrument and sat right by the bed, on a carpet laid on the floor. I immediately pulled my feet up, hugging my knees. He glanced briefly at where my feet had been before turning back to the instrument.

 After plucking a few strings, he began to play the most soothing melody I'd ever heard

After plucking a few strings, he began to play the most soothing melody I'd ever heard. I watched in awe as his long elegant fingers flew across the strings effortlessly. It was unfamiliar, but ethereal.

The tune was very complex, but he seemed to have no problem. He must be very familiar with it, I thought. As it carried on, I found myself getting drowsy. The melody made me light headed and my eyelids started to droop.

Everything was really a blur after that, all I remember clearly was the tune. I also remember it stopping sharply, then continuing. I felt the soft pillow under my head and a brush on my cheek, before I finally gave in.

The melody still played.

===============================
Whew!

Figured this out on the daily morning walk with my mom. Can't believe how easily it came😅.

So I'm working on the next chapter and I'll probably drop the playlist soon.

Bye!
💜💜💜