Chapter 24

"Agassiiii..."

I rolled my eyes at Kyungsoon's crying. 

"Don't be so dramatic, Soonie. Goodness. I am perfectly fine", I berated her. The other girl pouted and continued applying the balm on my legs.

"Why didn't you tell me?", she sniffed. I could hear the concern and genuine sadness in her voice and felt guilt settle heavily in me. Reaching over, I gently patted her hand, prompting her to look at me. I smiled.

"Soon-ah. Forgive me. I just did not want bother anyone when I could simply walk it off", I explained. She sighed.

"I know that but... Agassi. Things are not how they used to be. You are the young mistress of this house- you are allowed to ask for things." I nodded, feeling strangely like I had just been scolded. 

As she packed up the medicines she began to speak again.

"You should rest today. I don't want your wounds getting or feeling worse when I worked so hard to patch you up." I chuckled. 

"It's alright. I already got permission to stay home."

The night before, Gwi had told (ordered) me to rest the whole day, making me promise to get my wounds treated.  

"Why did you not dress it at least?"

I looked up from the illustrated sheets of parchment I was studying. He stared at me with his cheek resting in his hand, waiting.

"I never got treatment for this. It would go away in a few days, so I never bothered anyone with it", I explained. He kept silent for a while before scoffing and turning to his own book.

"Well get it treated this time. And don't come back unless you don't feel any pain", he said, then chuckled. 

"Just because you look cute when waddling like that doesn't mean you should be in pain for it."

I felt my ears heat up from his comment. Pouting, I turned back to the illustrations in my hands.

"I didn't waddle", I mumbled. Another chuckle.

I spent the rest of the day pretty much normally, the only difference being that Kyungsoon practically confined me to my bed. My legs already felt a lot better, so I used that to convince her to let me sit by the pond in the garden. A little stretch would do me some good, I argued. Reluctantly, she agreed and I was able to enjoy some fresh air for a while. 

By the end of the day, the welts were almost gone, and it seemed likely that there would be no scabs or scars this time. I was just more excited to visit Gwi again. I think I was a bit too excited, because that night, I had the strangest dream...

***

"Agassi, would you like for me to bathe you today?"

I turned to Kyungsoon as I undressed, a slight furrow in my brow.

"Bathe me?" I queried, chuckling. "You didn't even help me bathe yesterday, why do you want to do it today?" Kyungsoon smiled, but it looked a bit awkward and strained despite how much she tried to hide it. 

"No reason. I just felt that since you are better now, I should at least do this little thing."

Her reasoning didn't make complete sense, but she was quite insistent so I allowed her to have her way. But throughout the bath, she just continued acting weird.

 But throughout the bath, she just continued acting weird

"Agassi, did you sleep well?"

"Agassi, were you cold last night?"

"Does it hurt anywhere?"

"Agassi, tell me if you need anything, alright?" she said as she meticulously and carefully cleaned my body. It was almost clinical how she thorough she was being. I frowned but said nothing throughout the whole thing.

She helped me dress as well, but just as I was thinking of saying something, I got a visitor.

"Mother?"

My stepmother entered my room wordlessly, an unreadable expression on her face. She turned to Kyungsoon and gestured for her to leave the room. The girl turned to me, worry evident on her face. I nodded to reassure her and eventually she left, hesitant.

"I will check on breakfast. Excuse me." She bowed and left. After the door closed behind her, I turned to Mother, waiting for what she was going to say. However, what she did next came as a complete shock.

"Mother! What are you-"

She had dropped to her knees in front of me, rubbing her hands in front of her. 

"Eunhee-ah. Please forgive me. I know I have wronged you and treated you horribly all these years but I beg you to find it in your heart to forgive me. I was just bitter because I was a second wife and you reminded me of that everyday. I will never raise my voice or hand against you ever again, I swear.", she begged, her face contorting with what looked like fear and desperation. I watched in disbelief but snapped out of it when she began to reach for my skirt, moving back in alarm.

"What is this? What happened? Did Father scold you?" I asked, remembering that Gwi assured me he would handle it. However she shook her head, staring at the floor. My brows furrowed at that as I grew confused. But... if he didn't tell Father…

After Mother left, I sat in thought, slowly piecing the fragments of the puzzle together.

"Agassi! Your breakfast is here!"

I watched as Kyungsoon bustled around, setting the table and laying out the dishes while rambling. "Today I made sure that there was some extra pajeon just for you. I know how much you like it so I-"

"Kyungsoon."

The simple mention of her name caused her to freeze. But just as quickly, she snapped out of it and turned to me with a smile.

"Yes, agassi? Do you need anything?" I looked down at her fiddling fingers and her foot that wouldn't stop shaking. 

"Kyungsoon", I repeated, meeting her eyes this time. "I'm going to ask you two questions, and I expect nothing but the truth from you. Understand?"

Her smile faltered but she nodded nonetheless, as hesitant as it was.

"Were you awake late last night?" I asked. The remnants of her already strained smile broke away completely with my question. She eventually nodded, unable to meet my eyes. Her strange demeanour the entire morning was finally making sense, but I needed to confirm it.

"Alright then. Last question. Kyungsoon-", I sat straighter and crossed my arms.

"What did you see?"

----------------------------------------------
...

😀

Okay gotta go work on my assignments🥲

Next chapters will be out soon! I just want to cliffhang you guys a little but not for long I promise😂😂

Baaaiii have a great time!👋🏼💜💜

Stream Jack In The Box😐

Okay going for real now🏃🏽‍♀️