Chapter 18

Annyeong! 

I have spawned from the dead, yet again. I have exams in a week and a BTS COMEBACK IN LESS FKLSJSLJDKALALKSDLDK- so I wanted to update before I lose all my mental capacity😀

Anyway the canon story has begun! Let's begin shall we?

======================================

Gwi's POV

I forgot how irritating humans were when they were scared. Spending time with ones who didn't cower in fear all the time made this a whole lot more annoying.

I looked up from the flyer in my hand. these annoying things had popped up again. I balled it up in my fist and threw it away, turning to the human girl trembling at my feet. She was whimpering and shaking in fear. It was too pitiful, causing me to wrinkle my nose. Had Eunhee been like this? Surely she didn't snivel this much?

I scoffed and and stood up, the thought of comparing the two leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Especially when I knew how different their fates would be in my hands. I walked round the bath towards her.

"Up", I commanded.

She flinched but managed to get to her feet. Good. At least she was obedient. I stared at her as she fisted her jeogori with her hands in a desperate attempt to keep them from trembling. I wasn't that scary, was I? Sighing, I walked closer to her until I there was a foot of distance between us. I could literally smell her fear heighten.

"P-Please... don't hurt m-me", she hiccupped. I grasped her chin and made her face me. Her eyes were tightly shut, with blotchy cheeks marked with tear tracks.

"Open your eyes", I ordered. She gradually opened her tearshot eyes and met my gaze. I could see the exact moment her fear in her made way for the initial shock of seeing my face. I smiled lightly.

"I'm not going to hurt you. In fact, I'm going to be generous with you. All I need is for you to run a little errand for me." She swallowed. Still smiling, I leaned in closer.

"Besides...", I drawled, my voice tapering into a whisper, "Wouldn't you like to be young and beautiful like me... forever?"

In her trance, she gave a tiny nod. My fangs were in her throat the next moment.

She spasmed and gurgled, and I held her upright with a hand on her back and the other on the side of her neck. I felt the bloodhigh course through my body as I drank and I had just released my venom when a gasp made me freeze. I opened my eyes to meet Eunhee's, wide and frozen.

Retracting my fangs, I detached my lips from the girl's throat and let go of her

Retracting my fangs, I detached my lips from the girl's throat and let go of her. Eunhee's gaze was ripped from me to the body, following it as it crumpled onto the ground before she snapped back to me. Clutching the book in her hands tighter, she swallowed then bowed to me. I stepped towards her but she quickly spoke up.

"I will be in the library if my lord needs me", she blurted, looking anywhere else except directly at me.

I hated it.

I sped over to her as she tried to hurry past, stopping her with a grip on her arm and preventing her from taking another step. She paused, then slowly raised her eyes to meet mine. Expectant.

I stared at her for a while, hesitating. Why? I owed her no explanation. But... why did I feel like I did? I licked my lips, the fresh blood I tasted reminding me of the night's mission.

"I'm busy tonight", I said. She just nodded and turned away again, as if looking at me was painful.

I loathed it.

I let go of her, listening to her retreating footsteps and the rustling of her skirts. I glanced at the vampire girl I had just sired. She had already started to turn, her body jerking. Her braid dropped from her shoulder and onto the ground. I frowned.

The sight reminded me of Eunhee asleep, with her back turned to me. What was with all these unwelcome comparisons rising in my head? Annoyed, I strolled over to her and ripped the daenggi from her hair, letting it tumble out.

Almost immediately, as if reacting to my touch, the girl tensed up. Clearly in the feral state. The most mindless and dangerous part of turning. Her next moves were quick but of course, I was quicker.

In a blink, she had gotten to her feet and tried to run to the library where Eunhee was. I grabbed her by the hair and yanked her back, then leaned down to whisper in her ear.

"She is mine", I hissed. She went limp and pliant, still craving Eunhee's blood but the need to obey me surpassing that craving. She couldn't touch what was mine.

No one could.

Satisfied, I let her go and began to walk out. "Let's go. You have work to do."

***

The pale moonlight shone through the foliage, with not a single soul present. But not for long. Through the trees, I sensed the girl working with Sungyeol making her way through the forest. I huffed in amusement. For all their love of life, humans really had no sense of self-preservation. I placed a hand on the head of the fledgling vampire standing beside me.

"Child, do you hear that?" She nodded, making me smile. "That's your dinner. You don't want to go hungry tonight, do you?", I queried. She shook her head, trembling with bloodlust. The smile on my face dropped.

"Go."

After she was long out of sight, I waited. Then, I sensed him. I smiled.

"Kim Sungyeol... at last. You've taken my bait."

I began to speed over but as I did, I felt yet another sire-bond sever. I stumbled. It was too fresh, that was why it felt a bit more painful, wasn't it? I snarled and dashed over to the scene. I got there just in time to see the last traces of him disappear. A pile of ash lay in the grass, all that remained of my fledgling. I could smell something intoxicating, and scanned the trees looking for what it was. 

Blood on a trunk. The taste was even better than the smell. I smirked. So selfish. He didn't want to have such a tasty meal all to himself, did he?

I chased after them, following the scent of her blood. I was getting closer and after a frustrating amount of time, I finally traced it down. But something was wrong. Then I saw it.

A wild rabbit sniffed around, blood dripping down its pelt.

Anger coursed through me and I roared in frustration. Furious, I turned and chased them again, easily picking up the trail of blood. But it vanished as I reached the edge of the waterfall. Cursing, I turned away and went back to where what remained of my fledgling lay. Now dead twice over. I sighed, looking down at her remains.

When I looked up, I noticed something on the ground a few feet away. A satchel lay in the bloodstained grass, clearly belonging to Sungyeol's little companion. I fumed, but walked over to pick it up anyway. It was worn out and obviously very well used with nothing but a few books in it. I made a mental note to look at them when I got back. The bag was saturated with her scent however, and I easily committed it to memory. I bristled.

Tonight was unsatisfactory, in many more ways than one. Thanks to that damned guardian. Huffing, I turned and began to make my way back to the palace.

I wondered if Eunhee would still not look at me.

======================================
Oh? Trouble in paradise?