Chapter 28

Eunhee’s POV

“Seongie~~”

A muffled giggle rang through the air. Chuckling, I turned towards the large earthenware pots at the side of the house. I was playing hide and seek with the twins, but Daeseong was so giggly that he always gave himself away.
Daejung sat in the house in my room, already caught and out of the game. He watched me search for his brother, looking through a window while nibbling on a sweet bun.

“Oh dear… where could my Daeseongie be? I’ve looked everywhere”, I pretended to lament. More giggles sounded out.

“Could he be… here?” I looked into a shrub. “Hmm. Not there. What about… here?” Under the deck of the house. The giggles got louder. I let out a loud exaggerated sigh.

“Oh well…”, I started, slowly and quietly walking towards the pots. “I guess I’ll have to give up then.” A tiny gasp was heard then and I grinned.

“Gotcha!” Daeseong squealed loudly as I snuck up behind him and picked him up. His shrieks of laughter pierced through the air as I spun him around, absolutely delighted. His excitement was contagious and it made me break into laughter myself.

“Agassi!”

I looked up at that and saw Kyungsoon standing on the deck. I smiled and waved at her to indicate that I would be over there right away.

“Seongie, let’s go inside hm? Noona will get you something yummy to eat”, I bribed. The toddler began to bounce in my arms after hearing that.

“Yummy yummy yummy”, he chanted. I went inside, Kyungsoon following right behind.

Once inside, I set Daeseong down. He waddled over to his twin and the two boys immediately struck up a conversation in their own baby language. I smiled at the sight before turning to Kyungsoon.

“Could you get some snacks for Daeseong too?” I requested. She nodded, but didn’t leave just yet.

“Agassi, this came for you”, she said, pulling a white envelope out of her sleeve and handing it to me. Curious, I opened it.

The letter was lightly perfumed, a refreshing floral scent wafting from the paper itself

The letter was lightly perfumed, a refreshing floral scent wafting from the paper itself. I blinked in confusion. But then as I actually unfolded the letter and started to read, my eyes widened with each character.

***
As soon as the gama stopped, I practically flew out of it. I kept the letter close as I rushed to Gwi’s palace. The steel door was, as usual, left ajar for me and I promptly pushed it open and burst inside.

“My lord! My lord- oh.”

I came to an immediate halt when I realized who was in the main chamber other than Gwi.

“Father”, I bowed slightly, caught off guard by his presence. “I apologize. I was not aware you would be here today”, I said. I then turned to Gwi.

Now that I focused, I realized that the air seemed a bit tense. They seemed to have been in a bit of a strained interaction before I barged in so unceremoniously, because Gwi’s face was blank and his eyes harsh. I swallowed.

"Excuse me then-"

"Excuse me then-"

“No”, Gwi interrupted my attempt to leave them alone. He turned to me then, the harshness in his expression easing up a bit as he continued. “Minister Han was just leaving.”

Father glanced at him with something akin to surprise evident in his expression, but he quickly composed himself and bowed to accept the abrupt dismissal.

“Yes, my lord”, he said, then began to walk out, only faltering when he passed my me. Gwi’s eyes trailed after him as he left, until the door opened and shut, leaving the both of us alone once again. The man in question turned to me then, beckoning me closer.

“What got you all excited today?” He queried as I got closer to him.

“Ah… that- did I not interrupt anything, my lord? I truly did not mean to”, I answered, feeling a bit abashed by my behaviour. He huffed.

“You should know by now that I don’t care. You could insult the king himself in my presence and no harm would come to you. There have just been some irritating pests running around. Your father was giving me a report. And attempting to suggest a solution. But I’ll handle it. Now tell me-” he reached out and pulled me into his lap.

“What has you so elated that you couldn’t contain your excitement?”

Remembering the reason, a smile grew unbidden on my face once more.

“I received a letter today! I replied enthusiastically, taking out the letter to show him.

"I wasn’t sure who it would be from but then I opened it and it’s from Hyeryung-ssi! She wrote that she was returning to the city in two days and that she would like to meet up because she missed me", I answered, beaming.

“Hm. With how excited you are, one would think you were utterly and absolutely miserable the whole time you were with me”, Gwi said after I explained. Flustered, I shook my head.

“Of course not, my lord! I could never be. Not with you”, I protested. He cocked a brow at that. Realizing what I had just said, I felt heat rush to my cheeks.

“Oh?” Amusement danced across his handsome features and I realized he was just teasing me. Again. I huffed, ignoring the flush that I knew was present on my cheeks.

“My lord liked to tease. It’s unfair”, I muttered. He smiled and leaned closer.

“But not miserable?” He almost whispered. One of his hands found its usual place, lightly brushing over my cheek in a feather-light caress.

“You could never be. Not with me, remember?” He added, using my words against me. He chuckled, no doubt amused at the exasperation clear on my face. He sat back, leaning away and placing distance between us again.

“Alright. I won’t tease you for too long today. I am assuming you would want that day off to spend it with your friend?” He pointed out. I perked up at that. In all my excitement, that hadn’t even crossed my mind. I sort of just assumed…

Gwi’s lips curved into a small smile and he spoke again.

“You can go. I don’t mind. As long as you enjoy yourself, I suppose she can have you for a little while. Then you will come right back to me. Like you always do. Isn’t that right?”

I nodded.

“Yes my lord, always.” Gwi’s smile grew at that.

“Good girl.”