Chapter 19

Yes that's right. Double update.

Better get used to it😗

======================================

Gwi's POV

It was quiet when I got back.

It was always quiet, of course, but there was no sound of pages flipping or rustling fabric. She was asleep. Silently, I walked to the bedchamber. She laid on the bed, her shoes set neatly on the floor and one sock-clad foot peeking out of the quilt. I huffed, walking around the bed to see her face. Even asleep she wouldn't face me.

I sat cross-legged opposite her on the bed, making sure not to jostle it and wake her up. Her brow was slightly furrowed as she clutched the other pillow to her chest. My fingers reached out to smoothen out the wrinkles. I didn't like her being upset in front of me.

Ugh, what was I saying? All I had done so far was make her nothing but upset. I sighed, propping up my chin with a hand. What a troublesome pet I turned out to have.

While Eunhee slept, I cleaned up a little. Changed my bloodstained robes and took a dip in the bath to wash off anything else. While I let myself air-dry, only dressed in a pair of trousers, I picked up the satchel I found in the forest. There was just a copy of a novel inside.

Eumlang Seosaeng.

Was this the person Sungyeol had risked his exposure for? After all these years no less? Or maybe... they had Jeonghyeon's diary. It would explain his desperation.

"Please! Water!"

I lowered a bucket to him, but when he caught a glimpse of my face he spilled it away immediately. I rolled my eyes, then pulled him up and out of the well.

I had been generous, really. All he had to do was give Jeonghyeon's diary back and he would live.

"I've destroyed anything that could possibly destroy me, so you might as well cooperate." Sadong sneered in response.

"I've found a way-", he choked, my grip on his neck growing tighter with his words. But he was stubborn. They always were. "You'll never find it. Not even if you kill me."

I snarled, immediately biting into his neck and sucking him dry. If he insisted.

I tutted. Even in death, how could one be so irritating? I looked up at his corpse embedded in the wall. "Foolish man. Causing me so much headache."

It was sometime later that Eunhee woke from her nap. They would come for her soon; I guess her body had already adapted to that schedule.

"Did you sleep well?"

My voice seemed to catch her off guard and she startled a bit before noticing me on the stone seat. I cocked a brow. Blinking, she cleared her throat before answering.

"Yes my lord", she replied, looking away. I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Are you still shaken up about what you saw earlier?" I asked.

She said nothing, but her hands fidgeting gave away her nervousness. Annoyed, I got to my feet and darted to stand right in front of her. She gasped.

"Did it scare you that much?" I gritted out. She shut her eyes as I got closer. I felt myself getting angrier.

"No. I was just a bit startled that's all-"

"Don't lie!" I cut her off, furious now. She wrung her hands tighter, her head bent down. My voice lowered, "You are never to lie to me. You know what I am. If you can't handle these things... then you might as well leave."