Chapter 26

I wake up to the Carmelite sunshine glow in my face. I look to my left and see Tate still sleeping, his blond curls all messed up. He is facing me and has his arm around me.

I push back the long locks of blonde curls that have fallen over his face. He looks so peaceful and innocent right now.

Protected from the shit in the world. All the pain he has gone through and felt in his life is like it is nonexistent.

He starts to stir and not to long after that he eyes pop open. He blinks and rubs his eyes. He looks around until he spots me. When he eyes find me a small smile forms on his lips.

Good morning, Tate says.

Good morning, I reply.

He sits up and I follow up with him. He stands up off the bed and I stand up with him still wrapped in his arms.

He leans down and kisses me. He is the first to pull away. He looks down at me into my eyes and I see his pupils dilate.

Let's go downstairs, he says.

Okay, I respond.

We walk down the stairs hand in hand. When we get downstairs we see chad at work like usual.

It is currently mid November and all the Halloween decorations have been taken down. The Halloween decorations that once covered the house are now replaced with fall decorations.

Strings of fake leaves are hung accordingly all throughout the house. There are red, orange, and yellow LED lights strung all over the place.

There are fake pumpkins of all sizes ranging from tiny pumpkins that are 3 inches long. The biggest pumpkin is 1 meter long and 4 feet tall.

There are cornucopias dispersed randomly around the house. The vibrant colors of Fresh Vegetables, Fresh Fruits, Dried Fruits, and Nuts.

My mother is currently at the kitchen table rocking Jeffrey. My eyes catch something else. A woman standing and rocking a newborn baby.

On the kitchen table there is packs of diapers, baby clothes, formula, and baby food. The woman is staring down sweetly at the child that I assume would be hers.

A slight smile is plastered on her face as she slightly sways the sleeping baby. My mouth drops open and it finally hits me.

The woman is Hayden.