Chapter 16

Get off of her, my dad yells. Great this should be fun, I think to myself.

I get up and walk over to Tate. When I get by him I bend down to see if he is okay, which he is. I help him stand up.

Dad, can't you just leave us alone, I say.
No, I'm not going to let him hurt you anymore, my dad says.

He's not hurting anyone. If anything you are hurting me and Tate, I say.

He walks over to Tate and shoves him. Come on tuff boy, what are you going to do huh, my dads says to Tate.

I run inside. This is not going to end well.

Mom, I yell.

Mom, I yell.

My mom comes running in. What Violet. What's wrong she asks.

It's dad. I think he is going to hurt Tate.

What, she says.

They are fighting outside in the gazebo, I say.

Come on come on let's go, she says running out with me following her.

Come on tuff guy, my dad says. He throw a punch at Tate's head. Tate is not even fighting back.

Come on tuff guy, fight my dad says throwing a punch at Tate's nose causing it to bleed.

Ben stop, my mother shouts.

My dad throws another punch at Tate

Come on why aren't you fighting you coward, my dad says to Tate.

Because I don't want to hurt any more people, Tate says.

My dad throws a punch to Tate's body.

My mother runs over to Ben and pushes him so he looses his grasp off Tate. I run over to Tate.

Are you ok, I ask. Yea I'm fine, he says. I pull him in for a hug.

Ben stop it already. Why can't you just forgive him, my mother yells at my dad.

Because he is a monster, my dad replies.

He didn't hurt you he hurt me and if I can forgive him you should be able to too, my mother tells back.

Come on let's go inside I say as I pull back from the hug.

We walk inside together. The sound of my parents arguing in the back fading to every step we take getting closer to the house.