Chapter 11

We lay on the bed panting hard.

Violet, my dad calls.

Violet, come down here. We need to talk to you, he says.

That doesn't sound good, Tate says.

I'm coming I call.

Yea you are right. We should get dressed, I say. Yea, okay Tate says. We turn and find are scattered items of clothing dispersed around the room and put them on.

Do you want me to come with, he asks. No, stay here, I say. Okay, he says and kisses me for a few brief seconds. When we pull away I open the door, walk out, and close it again behind me.

I find both my mother and father in the kitchen. You wanted to see me, I say. Yea, my dad says. What are you doing with Tate again.

How could you? No better yet, why would you? Jesus Ben, you are one of the only ones in this house that won't forgive him.

Violet forgave him because I forgave him, my mother says sticking up for me. I don't get it, after all he has done to us, my dad says. You know, you also hurt us too, I say.

Not like him, he says. You guys are pretty similar and actually if you noticed you didn't hurt me, you hurt mom.

Just like Tate didn't hurt me, he hurt mom. I couldn't forgive him any earlier because it wasn't my place to. Look at how many times you hurt mom and she forgave you, why can't you do the same, I say.

Because he doesn't deserve to be forgiven, he says. It's not you who has the right to say that. You cheated on mom not once, but twice.

Who are you to decide when he should be forgiven when you were once in that place. The only difference is, he waited three years, you waited six months.

There is nothing left that I have to say here, I say and walk back up the stairs toward my room.