01

TWO MONTHS AGO

November 18th, 2020

"With the third pick in the 2020 NBA Draft; The Charlotte Hornets select, LaMelo Ball, from Chino Hills, California"

"oh, fuck me."

PRESENT DAY

MARIAH

"Come on Mari. Dtae just told me Syd isn't going unless you're coming."

There was nothing I could do but roll my eyes at what Pj was saying to me. He'd just told me that since the team was getting ready for the summer league, all coaches, players, and their loved ones had all gone to Buffalo Wild Wings.

Apparently it was tradition to have a dinner on the day of New Years. I don't know why but out of all fucking resteraunts, they chose a fucking WING PLACE. It doesn't help that my best friend is dating one of the players.

Mariah- I barely even wanna get out of bed. What makes you think I'm gonna show up to this?

Pj- I'll give you a hundred if you show up.

Mariah- Deal.

Don't act like y'all wouldn't do the same thing. It's not everyday someone says they'll pay you to show your face.

And that brings me to where I am now. Sitting in the parking lot of Buffalo Wild Wings, regretting every life choice I've made up until now.

Sydney- Okay but it's not like you'll have to talk to Melo. It's been what, two years since y'all have even seen each other?

Mariah- True. But you know these niggas. They'll make a whole scene.

Sydney- Let them. He dumped you. Not the other way around. It's time he finally saw what he missed out on.

Mariah- You know what? You're fucking right.

Nobody

Sydney clapped as her best friend confidently left the car. She was beyond proud and words couldn't even express it. Locking the car, Sydney caught up with Mariah as she opened the door.

Inside the resteraunt was filled with Hornets players and staff members. All at different tables with their loved ones.

Terry was the one to notice Sydney and Mariah. He knew Sydney would come, but not Mari. So this surprised him.

Terry- Well I'll be damned..look who actually decided to show up.

He said, noticing the two come through the door. All it took was that sentence for the other Vets to get rowdy. James noticed and shook his head, slightly smiling.

Several heads turned to where all the commotion was coming from. Most people were confused as to why the tables of men cheered. So eyes turned to where they looked.

One heart in particular dropped, and he suddenly felt sick to his stomach, seeing his ex walk in. Melo couldn't believe what he was seeing. She hadn't changed a bit. If anything, she was prettier than he remembered.

As Mariah's eyes scanned over who was inside the building she noticed Vernon. He sat with someone else who she assumed was another pick.

Immediately she made her way to Vernon, who smiled. This was the guy she spent countless hours studying and doing homework with, as well as midnight gym sessions.

Mariah- Oh my Gosh. Look at you Vern.

She said, wrapping her arms around the larger male, not paying any attention to the several eyes on her from her ex and his family.

Vernon- Hello to you too.

He put his arms on top of hers before laughing.

Mariah- I know, but I miss seeing you around campus. Both you and Tre left me. Psych is so lonely now. I'm stuck with Wendell.

Vernon- Wendell isn't that bad though.

Mariah- He's annoying..but anyways. I gotta go 'fore these niggas start complaining.

She pulled away and stood up straight, making Vernon sit up.

Vernon- Alright, text me.

Mariah- You know it.

Melo watched from his table with Miles and his brothers as the two did some type of weird handshake and he couldn't help but stare at Mari as she made her way to Pj and Terry's table.

<MARIAH>

That single-handedly might've been the scariest thing I've done this year. I know Melo was straight on staring but I refused to pay him any mind. Not after the shit he pulled before I moved.

Sydney- I'm not drunk enough to deal with seeing Andre.

She said, putting her head down on the table as I took a seat next to Pj.

Mariah- Aren't you literally dating an NBA player?

Sydney- Still.

Terry- Speaking of dating..when are you two becoming a thing?

He asked, pointing towards Pj and I. I just rolled my eyes and fake glared at him.

Mariah- Very funny.

Pj- Never. That's Melo's girl. I'd be breaking all types of bro code.

My face scrunched up when hearing this. In no way, shape, or form was I "Melo's girl". At least, not anymore.

Mariah- Nigga what? You've known me waay longer than you've known Melo.

Sydney- Yeah..and he has a whole girlfriend. One that's like, a decade older than him. Which is fuckin weird but no one's wants to admit it. Girls her age are already married with at least a kid.

Terry- I mean, you're not wrong.

Mariah- Forreal. Plus he doesn't even like me like that anymore.

Pj- Then why does he keep on and off staring over here?

He picked up his drink and looked a certain way, causing me to look as well. By sheer luck, I caught LaMelo turning his attention back over to the cougar next him. The sight honestly disgusted me. I just wanted to ask her what he could offer her besides money.