84

Mariah

"You got out the hospital two days ago. Are you sure you can handle being out and about for this long?"

I bribed Tiny Jermaine into bringing me to the academy tournament. Ever since I got released Melo had been watching me like a hawk. He  wouldn't let me leave that bed unless I had to pee, shower, or change.

Today was my first real day of freedom. All day he was busy going back and forth watching his team play and watching Gelo play.

So I figured now would be the best time to sneak out and watch Jeremiah play.

Jr- You know if Melo comes back and catches you here he's gonna kill me right?

He has Tiny Jermaine "watching" me today. His job was to make sure I didn't go anywhere. I guess he's getting fired because I gave him a hundred bucks to let me leave.

Mariah- He knew better than to give me a babysitter.

He looked so worried when I opened the door to the gym. I genuinely don't know what's so scary about Melo to have him terrified like this. He's nothing but a tall, pale, Caspar. Now if he made Eli's big ass watch me I probably would still be inside that room.

Nobody

The third game had just started. It was now one in the afternoon and Melo had left to go watch his brother and some of his teammates play against the Pistons. No doubt he'd be gone for at least a couple hours.

Jermaine- You know Melo's gonna freak when he sees she's here and not at the hotel resting right?

He asked, watching his oldest son walk into the gym with Mariah trailing behind him.

Jr- I know. That's literally what I told her.

Both men watched as she went over to the bleachers and plopped down, unlocking her phone to take several selfies.

Jermaine- There's something seriously wrong with that girl.

Jr- I've been saying that since we met her.

Mariah- I can hear you.

Quickly, they both turned away and acted like nothing was said while she just laughed.

Jermaine- You have a concussion and you almost died the other day. Now you're taking selfies like none of it ever happened. We're worried.

Everyone was always amazed at how oblivious Mariah could be sometimes. The only way she knew how to express her feelings was through comedy and sarcasm. She was never truly taught how to voice emotions.

So she would avoid talking about traumatic things as much as possible. She felt if she kept her brain busy and other people laughing, she wouldn't have to be alone with her thoughts.

Mariah- I feel like you're overreacting.

She finally said, wanting to semi ignore the fact that both of them were worried. It felt weird having other people besides Dmo and Melo actually say they cared for her. The only affection she ever had was from the Ball family.

Her own family wasn't really close with her like that, nor had they ever made the effort to get to know her. She was alone for a long time, and of course it would fuck anybody up.

Jr- See, this is why we're worried. You can never take things seriously. It's not healthy.

Mariah- I know. My therapist says it's due to my mental illnesses, but I'm considering firing her because she sent me out here not knowing if Melo would actually hurt me or not.

She then proceeded to rant about Diane for the next five minutes before Jermaine gave her a bag of fruit snacks to shut her up.

Jermaine- She really shouldn't be here.

He told his son as they began to walk away from the bleachers and back towards the boys.

Jermaine- All the noise is most likely going to stress her out and worsen her concussion.

Jr- I tried my best to stop her. You have no idea the type of strength that girl has. There's a grown man hidden in that body.

Mariah's DMs

paige 👱🏻‍♀️
this might be the first time i
ever agree with melo.
get your ass back in that room

noooo
i don't like being cooped up in there

paige 👱🏻‍♀️
YOU'RE IN A BIG ASS SUITE.
WYM YOU DONTLIKE BEING COOPED
UP IN THERE?!
BITCH IT'S DN A HOUSEEEE

ik
but i'm in vegasss
i wanna have fun
be outside.
party.
yk, the fun stuff

paige 👱🏻‍♀️
mariah.
you can't be a city girl anymore.
you're about have a CHILD.

I KNOWW
why does everyone
keep reminding me 😭

paige 👱🏻‍♀️
bc you act like you forget sometimes

yea like i totally forget
the fact that the smell of
CHEESE makes me nauseous.
& yk i love cheese

paige 👱🏻‍♀️
wait
so you haven't had any
cheese related products in what
how many weeks are you?

twenty as of yesterday.

paige 👱🏻‍♀️
TWENTY?! good lord
you're barely even showing wtf

taking this as a compliment