38

a/n
this might be the last update for a tiny bit because i got selected for jury duty & if i'm picked i'll most likely only be able to update on weekends for the next three weeks. i'm sorry </3 and i'll try my best to push chapters through. i hope u guys can understand (;'༎ຶٹ༎ຶ')

MARIAH

"Have you decided?"

I knew this day was come, and I was slowly but surely confident in my awnser. I needed all the help I could get at this point.

Mariah- I'll stay with you.

I said, letting out a shallow breath I didn't even know I was holding. This was the first step to getting the help I actually needed.

Gelo- Alright. I'll let E know.

Mariah- Dmo knows, doesn't he?

There was no doubt in my mind that Gelo told his family and Dmo which meant they all knew about some of the things Melo did. Hopefully only the abuse and nothing else. If they found out anything else they'd literally kill him.

I know I shouldn't and it's bad, but I couldn't help but wonder what happened to Melo. He's missed the last couple games that's been going on and people are starting to ask questions.

As much as I hate him, I'd feel bad if he got hurt in any way because of me.

Gelo- I'll text you my address. Go back to Charlotte and grab anything you need Saturday morning. I should be home by seven.

Hearing his voice scared the shit outta me. I'd zoned out into my own thought and wasn't expecting to hear him again.

Mariah- Alright.

Gelo- You got any questions?

Do I ask the main thing on my mind? Or do I save myself from the judgement if I ask?

Intrusive thoughts win.

Mariah- Is Melo okay?

NOBODY

On the other side of the phone, LiAngelo cringed when hearing Mariah ask about his brother. That was her flaw; she cared too much. Especially towards people who wronged her. She never liked to see anyone hurt.

Gelo genuinely didn't know how to respond to her question without lying. Of course LaMelo wasn't okay. Lonzo and Dmo had completely beaten up. Lavar fucked with him mentally, and Jj got him a personal therapist.

Melo wasn't allowed to see the outside world. Everyone had to go to him. Gelo had been doing daily visits to make sure he didn't leave. As far as the world knew, Melo had gotten the flu.

Gelo- Yeah, he's fine.

Mari heard the hesitation in his voice and knew he was lying. She'd been around the Ball family long enough to tell when any of them weren't being honest with her, which was a lot.

Mariah- You don't have to lie, Gelo. Just make sure you guys didn't hurt him too much. I'd feel really bad.

Gelo- Why? It's not like you physically did anything. This was all us, not you.

Mariah- I know, but I feel like it's my fault. If I didn't run away none of this would be happening and I wouldn't have to be this burden to you and everyone else.

On the other side of the room, Jaden's heart broke a little and on the phone, Gelo's face scrunched up. Both of them hated that she felt this way.

Gelo- Don't ever say that again. You aren't a burden and you've never been. We're all proud that you did run away. It's only gonna get better from here on out.

That was the confirmation Mariah didn't know she needed. It made her feel so much better about herself, to know there were people out there that actually cared about her well-being.

Mariah- You know what? For a criminal, you aren't that bad.

He kissed his teeth.

Gelo- You seem to forget, you're much a criminal as I am. You were with me in China during that whole thing.

Mariah- Hmm, no. I was still inside the store when your dumbass decided to walk out.

Gelo- But you still watched. That makes you just as guilty as I am.

Mariah- Yeah, okay. Keep telling yourself that Mister moon cake enjoyer.

Gelo- You know what? Bye. I'm hanging up. I take it back. This is the last time I say anything nice to you.