24. Cold Wit' It

2:06 pm
Chicago, IL
Deija

My eyes were fixed outside of the window of the car, watching as the trees and buildings of Chicago flew by in a blur.

"What you thinkin' about?" Cam's deep voice broke me from my thoughts.

Looking over at him momentarily, I looked back out the window as our Uber driver pulled into the familiar neighborhood of houses, I'd seen my entire childhood.

"It's been a long time since I've been here." I spoke softly, looking out at the city I hadn't stepped a foot in since I was 18. "It almost seems like another life."

"It kinda was, wasn't it?" He asked, making me look at him in curiosity. "I mean we were just kids in love, about to have a baby, starting college-"

"And now we're..." I trailed off, tilting my head side to side as I tried to find the right words, but failed. "Us."

Cam chuckled, before placing his hand on my thigh. "Yeah, we're us."

I shook my head, laughing slightly.

"It's this one just up here." Cam directed the Uber driver to pull over in front of the home on his right.

Once we did, Cam stepped out of the car, walking to the trunk to retrieve our suitcases. Meanwhile, I was stuck. Just staring at the home I hadn't been in since I left Chicago for good. And left Cameron too.

Suddenly, the car door opened on my side, causing me to jump a little. Cam looked down at me with a humorous smile.

"What's goin' on?"

My leg shook up and down as I peered at the house behind him. "I'm nervous."

"About what?"

"What if they hate me." I said quickly.

"They don't hate you."

"Did they tell you that?" I asked.

"No, but-"

"Then you don't know for sure." I cut him off, shaking my head. "Ion know if this is a good idea, Cam."

Suddenly, Cam kneeled down so he was eye level with me in the car. Giving me a reassuring smile, he said "Stop stressing yourself out. Have they told me explicitly that they don't hate you? No." I shot him a look, making him laugh. "But I know that if they hated you, my mom wouldn't ask me every couple of months how you were doing, even though she knew we weren't speaking. And Kalen, well he hasn't shut up about you in the last five years so he's the least of your worries."

We laughed together, his words easing my mind just a little. Looking back at the house, then over to Cameron I took a deep breath while Cam stood to his height, and reached his hand out for me.

"I got you." He said, comfortingly, causing a smile to stretch across my lips.

Taking his hand, I stood from the car, shutting the door behind me. As I went to grab my suitcase that was on the sidewalk, Cam shook his head, moving it out of my reach and grabbing it with his other hand.

"I got it."

I rolled my eyes, as I followed him up the driveway to the front door. "I can carry a suitcase, Cam. You're carrying to much."

"I'm fine." He said, as he walked with both of our suitcases, my duffle bag, and my purse in his hands. "Ring the doorbell for me."

Just as I stepped around him, to ring the bell, the door opened, and in ran out a small brown skinned boy, who skirted right pass his older brother and collided into me, wrapping his arms around my waist.