45. Good Luck Sex

4:56 pm
Los Angeles, CA
Deija

"Oh yeah, oh yeah," I sung into the mic, as the music echoed around the studio. "Oh yeah, oh yeah. I put this thang on 'em. He fallen now, I put that aim-" I broke off as I fucked up the note for the millionth time tonight. I pulled the red beats headphones from my ears, hanging them on the stand. "I can't do this shit anymore."

The engineer cut the music as I stood from the bar stool and walked out of the booth. Jas stood from her seat next to the engineer, looking at me quizzically.

"What's going on?" She eyed me. "You aight?"

"I just can't get this shit right. We been trying to record this one part for an hour and the shit's just not working, I can't sing that verse again." I shook my head, frustration taking over me, making my attitude ten times worst than it already was. "I just-I don't know what's going on, today is just not my day."

"And that's okay. Everyday don't gotta be yo day, miss perfect." Jas smiled at me, genuinely. "We can call it for today. Go home and get some rest."

"You sure?" I asked, unsurely. She had booked me this studio time until 7 and I hate to just waste her money like that. "I can thug it out-"

"No, you ain' thuggin' nothing out. It's not that serious and it's not going to produce the music we need." She shook her head. "I'm sure. Go home, take a bath, smoke a blunt, and go to sleep, or whatever! Do what you gotta do, but just rest. We can pick up again later this week."

I let out a small breath of relief, "You're the best."

"I know." She shrugged playfully.

I grabbed my bag off the table before wrapping Jas in a hug, "Thank you."

"Don't thank me. Just go rest up." She let me go with a smile.

After saying a quick goodbye to the engineer, I left out of the building with a quickness. I had been feeling off ever since I woke up this morning and was yet to shake the feeling. Now, it was quickly starting to take over my day and I knew if I went home alone, it would only get worse. So, as soon as I got to my car I opened my phone and pressed one of my most recent calls.

It only rung twice before she picked up in a cheery tone.

"Hey bestie!"

"Hey Tiana." I said, with a certain mellowness to my tone. "You busy?"

"Never for you my love, what's going on? You okay?" She asked, immediately going into worry mode.

I shook my head, even though she couldn't see me. "I'm just not having the best day and I don't want to be alone. Can I come over?"

"Of course pooh! It's just me and your nephew over here and he'd love to see his Tee Tee."

That managed to bring a small smile to my lips, "I'd love to see him. Okay I'm on my way."

"Alright, see you soon!" She said, before hanging up the phone as I sped off to her condo.

Fifteen minutes later, I was pulling into her empty drive way before hopping out of my car and walking to the door. Before I could even knock, the door had swung open, revealing Khalil standing in front of his mom with a huge smile on his little face.

"Tee Tee Deij!" He cheered, holding his arms up to me.

"Hey stinka man." I smiled, reaching down to pick his little body up. I held him around his waist as his little arms wrapped around my neck, giving me a hug. "Aw, thank you for the hug, Mani. I love your hugs."

"Mommy say you need some hugs becwause you don't feel good right now." He told me, confidently. "Mommy say my hugs always makes her feel better."

"Your hugs make me feel better too, Mani. Thank you, bubba." I kissed his chubby cheek. "You makin' me feel better already."