31. This Ain't For a Baby's Eyes

1:37 pm
Los Angeles, CA
Deija

"So how was your weekend?" Dr. Brown asked me as we walked through the spiritualistic festival she'd invited me to at our last session.

I smiled, thinking back to the short but amazing weekend I had with Cam.

"It was good." I kept it short and sweet.

"Yeah? That smile tells me it was more than good." She said making me laugh. "Give me the real juicy deets."

"I just flew to Phoenix to surprise my boyfriend." I said, smiling a little to myself as I said the title aloud for the first time. "You'll hear about him in our sessions, for sure."

"He lives in Phoenix?"

I shook my head, "No, just work. He's in the NBA actually, so it was their first game of the season against the Suns."

"I don't really know like anything about basketball, but that's what's up." She nodded her head impressed. "What team does he play for?"

"The Lakers."

"Okay, that team I know." She laughed. "Purple and gold right?"

"You got it." I chuckled. "Oh, I have to get some of these." I said as we walked up on a booth, where a small black women was selling African crystal healing jewelry.

"These are beautiful." I said, running my fingers across the gold and crystallized necklace.

"They are and that one would look so good on your skin. You should get it." She said.

I held the necklace up to my neck as I looked at it in the mirror, "You think?"

She nodded, "Definitely."

I grabbed a few more things she was selling in her shop like some natural shea butter, African black soap, and a book which was a guide to African spiritual healing. After checking out, we continued walking through the festival admiring all of the different booths and displays that were set up.

"So where did you meet your boyfriend?" She asked as we walked.

"Um, we actually met in middle school." I said.

Her mouth gaped a little, "Really?"

"Mhm, we grew up in the same city and went to the same school up until we graduated." I told her. "We didn't actually start dating till high school though."

"So y'all were high school sweethearts?" She tutted her lip out.

"Somethin' like that." I shook my hand from side to side. "We dated in highschool but broke up at the end of our freshmen year."

"Really?" I nodded, confirming her doubts. "But y'all found each other again? That must be your soulmate."

"He might be." I agreed. "I mean, when we broke up I never stopped loving him. For five years I loved that man from afar. But it's like now, this love feels so different. It feels..." I trailed off, trying to find the perfect words.

"Evolved." She finished my sentence for me.

I nodded, pointing to her. "It feels evolved but it also feels just right. Like we were meant for each other at this point in our lives, not five years ago."

"It's divine timing. What's meant for you will come for you in its own time and that timing will be perfect for you."

I liked that.

"Well, whatever it is, it can keep it coming. Because right now, life is good." I smiled, looking through the dozens of crystals as we came across another booth that caught my eye. "And only a few know that my life hasn't always been good."