44. Chocolate Babies

11:42 am
Los Angeles, CA
Deija

"Okay boo, you ready?" Dahli asked me as she plopped down in the plush pink chair next to me, with a smile.

"Ready to spark this blunt? Hell yeah." I told her, making her laugh. "But I'm cool to start recording too."

When we were in Florida, Jas had informed me that Dahli, the host of the popular pod cast, Trap Talk, wanted to record a podcast episode with me, following the release of my new record. Today, I was finally sitting down with her to record said podcast, and I couldn't be more excited. Besides the fact that this was my first ever interview and so many other celebrities had sat on the same seat I was sitting on, I'd been a huge fan of Trap Talk since it started up on YouTube, so to say I was hype to be here was an understatement.

"Alright bet. We ready over here!" She yelled to the rest of her team who were bustling in the back of the studio, all taking their positions to begin recording.

"Three, two, one, we're rollin!" The guy behind the camera, yelled, causing Jasmine to snap straight into podcast mode.

"Welcome, welcome back motha'fuckas! We back with a new episode of Trap Talk where we do everything the trap way, if you know what I'm sayin." She shot me a look making me laugh. "I'm Jasmine and today we got a new member in the trap seat! She's gorgeous as hell first of all, she blow down just like me and all of you muh'fucka's watching, she's from the Chi, and most importantly, she a brand new R&B artist on the scene that's hitting charts with her debut single, Breathe. Trappers and potheads, please allow me to introduce you to, Miss Deija Walker!"

She and the dozens of other people around the studio clapped for me, as a smile crept on my face whilst I waved at the camera slightly.

"What's up, y'all." I smiled.

"Girl, I am so hype to have you here."

"Girl you? I'm tryin' not to freak the fuck out right now." I said sincerely, causing her to laugh.

"Ain't nothin to freak out about girl! We just gone spark a couple blunts, and chat it up like a regular ol' day with ya girlfriends." She reached over to the small table that sat between us, which had two fat ass blunts perched on a freshly cleaned 'Trap Talk' ash tray, and picked one up, as well as a lighter. "Sound good?"

I smiled, "Sound's perfect."

"Shi' let's spark up then." She put the blunt to her lips and lit the end of it, puffing it a few times before placing the lighter down and blowing smoke from her mouth.

"So, let's get into it." She puffed the blunt again, sitting up in her chair a little. "You're very fresh on the scene and a lot of people, including myself, don't know much about who Deija Walker is. So, who is she?"

"Who am I?" I questioned to myself, looking to the floor as I pondered how to answer the question. "Shit, I don't know. Well, I'm a 23 year old R&B artist, from the northside, reppin' the Chi like you said," I smirked, proudly. If it's one thing I was gone represent and represent proudly, it was my home town. "I'm fairly new on the scene, yes, but I've been with this music shit for years. It's a real passion for me and to finally be able to put something out that people can feel and relate too, is, literally a dream come true."

"I love that." She pouted, whilst passing me the blunt. "I'm so happy everything is starting to work out for you love. So, when you say you've been with this music shit for a minute now, what does that mean? How have the last few years played out for you? Like has your life always been music, music, music, or was there another Deija before the R&B artist?"

"My life has always revolved around music, but baby the last few years of my life have been nothing like the last few months." I told her honestly, pulling from the blunt. "My parents didn't support me through college so I had to work hella different jobs, Wendy's, Victoria Secret, Foot Locker," I named off with a chuckle, thinking back to my 19 year old self dressed in that striped uniform. "I was so burned out from working all day at school and then leaving to immediately go off to work for eight hours, I put my music aspirations on the back burner. When I graduated, I barely had any music to show to record labels, let alone manager's. I dropped a few songs on my own but the views weren't poppin' and the checks weren't either. I eventually became a dance teacher and unfortunately ended up getting stuck in it and having no progression with my music."