Distance

E r o s

The clicking of the clock in this room was doing nothing to soothe my annoyance and I was just about ready to get rid of it. I've been stuck in this room all day trying to cut down the amount of papers in the stack in front of me and I hadn't really had time to myself lately, or even to be home with Cole.

Which made me very irritated.

Deciding I needed to go out and get some fresh air, I stood up and stretched a bit, my back sore from sitting for so long. I was walking to the door when I heard some voices approaching from the other side and suddenly a thud on the door had me looking at it suspiciously.

What is going on here?

"Sylas, I really don't think now is a good time" the first voice obviously belonged to Harvey, his normal airy voice being recognizable even through a thick wooden door.

"Huh? Why?" Sylas was one of our newbies, he only joined last month but he's proven himself to be very street smart and has shown his abilities very well.

"Boss is a bit on edge recently, coming to him with some trivial matter may only add to his already thickening workload. Can't it wait til later?" Harvey questioned.

"Well if you ask me, waiting til later would only give them more time to hide" Sylas said and it was then that I decided to open the door, Harvey's back being the first thing that greeted me as he seemed to be stopping Sylas from entering.

"Are you two really going to speak about me as if I'm not right here?" I asked and Harvey turned around.

"What? We weren't doing that" Harvey said in an unconvincing tone and I just sighed.

I could appreciate him not wanting to put more on my plate but it was literally my job to have it full. With a new year brought a fresh start and a review for all of last years profits and inventory needed to be gone through. I was up to my neck with this work but I wanted to see to it myself to ensure there were no oversights or mistakes that could be made.

I've had enough of those for a lifetime.

"What is it that you don't want me to find out about?" I asked and Sylas merely just pushed Harvey out of the way.

"We've got some missing packages, not everything was accounted for at this week's trade and our dealers were not present at the drop nor are they answering the phone" Sylas said and Harvey sighed but really, it should have been me doing that.

"I see...goodness, you'd think these people would think twice before crossing one of their biggest buyers. Sylas, inform Mikhail and once he has a hit on them I want you and Harvey to head over there. Get what we're owed peacefully or bring them here forcefully so that I can personally see to their misdeed" I explained and Sylas nodded before leaving the room.

Harvey stayed behind, his tentative gaze finding my eyes and I raised a brow.

"I know that you're worried, I do, but hiding things from me that I'll eventually find out about will only make more upset than thankful. You know I loathe surprises" I said and Harvey nodded.

"Sorry...you just don't look so good. Have you been able to take a break today? Eat something?" He asked.

"Well, I was just getting to the break part. Eating will come later" I said. I could tell Harvey wasn't satisfied with my answer when he shook his head.

"You're not doing anyone any favors if you fall sick from overworking yourself. What if that guy shows up right here, right now?" Harvey asked.

'That guy' meaning Silver Hawthorne, leader of the number one mafia group in the US. He's an extremely difficult man to read, and I thought I was unpredictable, but this man was just completely off the radar. I've only met with him a few times, we've had a few chats here and there but other than that, I doubt he thought I was worth his time. Which made me wonder why all of a sudden he was requesting to have a meeting with me.