ENDINGS AND BEGINNINGS

The plane rumbles beneath me, my aunt snoring softly as I scribble in my notebook. My world is changing, and there's nothing I can do about it, so it's situations like this that I retreat to the familiar blank pages of my notebook:

𝘐𝘵'𝘴 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘧𝘧 위험해
𝘐'𝘮 𝘴𝘰𝘳𝘳𝘺 눈물이 나 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘩
어둠이 내려와 사라져 가
멈춰진 시간 속에
𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘺'𝘭𝘭 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘳 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘢 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘦
멈출 수가 없어 왜 𝘮𝘺 𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘧𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘶𝘳

***

"This is it," My aunt smiles, unlocking the door to our new apartment. I smile weakly – it doesn't look promising. The door creaks open and I see a tiny, grimy loft apartment. "It was all I could find on short notice," She says with a weak smile as we walk in. "But, there is one good thing."

She walks over to a blanketed window and yanks the dusty sheet away, revealing a beautiful view of Seoul.

"Not too shabby, right?"
"It's perfect," I smile.

She grins and pulls my suitcases into the middle of the room.

"Well, I do believe your audition is in an hour, so, get going, and I'll have this placed turned around by the time you get back."

I smile, giving her a tight hug, before rushing off to JYP.

***

As soon as I walk in, I feel the stares from everyone, judging me, their eyes raking over my dark skin. I take a deep breath before meeting each judgemental gaze with a smile. I was expecting this, and I'm not going to let it shake me.

I stride over to the receptionist with my best smile.

"I'm here to audition."

He looks me up and down and rolls his eyes.

"Down the hall, first door to the left. Room 23. Good luck."

I can tell he doesn't mean it.

***

The stares don't stop when I walk into the audition – in fact, they probably get worse. The other auditionees stand around smirking as I walk in, whispering to each other. I roll my eyes. Dumping my bag probably a little too loudly and take a seat.

The other auditionees are alright – I do wince at some of the off-notes – but this one girl, Ryujin? Her dancing is insane – I can't help but admire her.

Finally, the staff call me up. I smile, but as I go to take the floor, someone trips me up and I fall.

"Seriously," I mutter. Everyone laughs quietly. I push myself up and stand in the middle of the room.

"Name?"
"Y/N L/N."
"And what will you be auditioning with today?"
"Dance."

She gestures to the sound system and I put my music in, before bowing and taking my position on the floor.

The judge sits in complete silence along with the other auditionees, their faces wearing the same stunned expression. I smile and she snaps back to life.

"If you could write down your email, the company will be in touch soon to tell you if you get in."

I nod and head out, probably a little too smug. But just as I turn the corner, someone grabs my arm – it's Ryujin.

"Hi, sorry for grabbing you," She says, awkwardly letting go of my wrist. "But do you think I could get your number? It's just, you were so good, and it'd be really nice to have a friend to train with, you know? If we get in that is." I stand surprised for a second, before smiling and handing her my phone.
"That'd be great!"

***

Later that evening, when I sit down to eat, my phone goes off and there is the email.

"What is it?" My aunt asks.
"I-I got in."