BREAKDOWN

After my last examination went viral, expectations are very high for my second – and with it being my last examination before they decide the line-up for Sixteen, the pressure is on. Ryujin and I have been asked by three trainees to team up for the examination so I'm currently in the practise rooms choreographing.

"I'm really thirsty," One of the girls sighs as we sit down for a break.
"I can get us some water," Ryujin smiles. The girls nod and Ryujin walks out.
"Y/N," Ji-Hoon says. "I was thinking we could try a lift in the choreographer, but I need to see how it looks. Do you think we could give it a try?"
"Yeah of course," You smile. "What do you need me to do?"
"Just lay on the ground and we'll lift you from there."

I nod and do as she says. Ji-Hoon stands by my head, and the other girl holds my feet. I tense my core and am lifted when suddenly the girl pins down my torso and Ji-Hoon stuffs a piece of fabric in my mouth.

I squirm under their grip and try to scream but nothing comes out. Ji-Hoon pulls something out of her pocket, and my stomach lurches when I hear the buzz of the razor. I start thrashing in their arms, tears pooling in my eyes but it's too late. The razor reaches my scalp and Ji-Hoon shaves two thick strips of my afro from my head.

Suddenly, they let me go and run out of the room, taking the razor with me.

I sit up immediately and look in the mirror – there's no saving it. I curl up in a ball and sob. Sure, it's just hair, but it takes ages to grow, and I've always loved my hair – it's a part of my personality. And now it's gone.

Ryujin bursts through the door.

"I saw them run out. What-"

She sees me curled up on the floor with the strips of hair and it clicks immediately. She runs up to me and gives me a hug.

"I'm gonna kill them," She whispers, stroking my hair – well, what's left of it.
"Wh-what do I do?"

***

After going to the store and picking up a cheap wig, Ryujin takes me to a shared bathroom and steals an electric razor from one of the male trainees.

"Are you ready?" She asks. I sigh, wiping the tears from my eyes, and nod.