SIXTEEN_PART 1

Somi bursts through the door and into the cluttered bedroom me, her and Momo share. It's a small, rectangular room with a bunk bed on one wall, an overflowing chest of drawers by the door, a pull-out yellow sofa bed and a little desk with an old beanbag – the place I've called home for almost two months now.

"Get up! Get up!" Somi laughs, dragging me out of my chair. I pull out my headphones – I'd just been studying Physics, probably my least favourite science.
"What's up?" I laugh as she drags me into the living room.
"The first episode. It's starting!"

My eyes land on the rest of the Sixteen competitors all crammed into our dorm, practically breaking the tiny sofa next to the TV. Dahyun waves at me, patting the spot on her lap with a wink. I laugh and run up to her, trying not to stand on anyone's feet or trip over their legs before I plonk myself on Dahyun's lap and she wraps her arms around my waist.

It didn't take long for the other contestants to treat me like a proper maknae. I get away with everything: borrowing clothes, shampoo, eating the last of something in the cupboard. It's great! And they look after me like a younger sister, constantly making sure I don't overwork myself and that the choreography is always age appropriate – much to my annoyance. But I know it comes from a good place.

Finally, the episode begins.

It's hard to believe that it's me on screen, let alone people other than the contestant watching the show, watching me perform on set. It's a dream – almost too good to be true.

***

You know you're not supposed to look at the comments, but your curiosity gets the better. So, the next morning, while everyone's making breakfast, I take a peek.

Sure, most of the comments are great, complimenting my voice, my dancing, my personality, but my looks... no. It's all 'Her thighs are too big', 'Where's her waist?', 'Bit too fat for a K-pop Idol really', but the most common: 'Shouldn't K-pop idols be Korean?'

"Zee!" Somi shouts from the kitchen. "You want breakfast?!"
"Ye-" I hesitate. "Actually, I'm fine. I think I'm gonna head to the gym."
"You sure?!"
"I-I'm sure."

I wipe my tears: I'm going to prove them all wrong.