MCOUNTDOWN_PART 2

The cameras start rolling.

"Hello!" Kevin and I smile.
"We're back and going straight in with a promising performance from none other than ATEEZ," Kevin begins.
"With their new song, Say My Name."

The cameras start rolling and as ATEEZ walks in, my mouth drops open.
"Wah," I exclaim. "You're all so tall."

Kevin snorts with laughter, ATEEZ and the camera crew joining in.

"Hongjoong, finally someone you're taller than," Mingi laughs. Hongjoong gives him a playful smack.

In this industry, I'm constantly reminded just how short 4,8 really is.

"Please," Kevin begins. "Introduce yourselves."
"Hello, we are ATEEZ!"
"Back on the topic of height," Kevin continues. "Who's the tallest?"
"Me," Yunho grins.
"Would you mind standing back to back with ZeeZee?"

Yunho laughs and does so – I roll my eyes.

"Wah," Seonghwa chuckles. "You're shorter than I imagined."
"Yah!" I shout. "It's not my fault you're all ridiculously tall!"

Everyone laughs again.

"And here I was about to say what a big fan I am," I laugh, walking back to my regular spot.
"You're a fan?! Really?" San says. "What's your favourite song?"
"Hala Hala and Pirate King for sure."
"Same!" Seongwha smiles. The director gives us the signal and the camera pans back to Kevin and I.

"Up next is..."

TIME SKIP TO THE LAST PERFORMANCE

"Our last performance of the night is JYP's new girl group, fresh off their debut," Kevin begins.
"ITZY and their debut song Dalla Dalla!"

This is definitely the performance I'm most excited for – I get to see Ryujin after years. We were best friends as trainees. It's been way too long.

The cameras start rolling and as soon as ITZY walk in, I can't help myself, I run up to Ryujin and give her a huge hug.

"It's so good to see you!" I smile, trying not to cry.
"I've missed you so much!" She smiles, lifting me off the ground.

"Aw," ITZY smiles, fawning over the scene. I give her one last squeeze before I run back to my position.

"Sorry," I smile. "Please introduce yourselves."
"Hello, we are ITZY!"
"So ladies," Kevin begins. "How does it feel to finally debut?"
"It's amazing!" Yuna smiles.
"Yeah, it was such a fun process as well," Lia says. "Recording the songs, learning the choreography – it was brilliant!"
"I know exactly what you mean," Kevin smiles.

And the cameras cut to the adverts.

***

Just before the cameras are due to start rolling and announce the winners, the director runs up to us in panic.
"T-the votes aren't working!"
"What?"
"Never mind that. You guys need to perform while we get them working."
"But we haven't got anything rehearsed!" Kevin panics.

After a couple of seconds of deliberation, I pull up a backing track on my phone and hand it to the director.

"Tell them to play this – and I'll need a mic."

***

Not once did I think I'd be doing this today – but I'm the Queen of impromptu performances. As the cameras start rolling, I take my position, and pray to the K-pop Gods that the votes start working soon.

Just as I finish, Kevin and the competing groups walk onto the stage to announce the winner. After all that singing, I can feel myself trembling. Kevin puts his arm around me to hold me up.

"And after that brilliant performance," Kevin smiles. "It's time to announce the winners." He hands me the envelope.
"Without further ado, the winner is... ATEEZ Say My Name!"

ATEEZ takes the stage as the confetti cannons go off and I hand them the bouquet and trophy. Wooyoung gives me a friendly wink, so Kevin and I head off stage as they do their encore performance.

I collapse on the floor backstage.

"That," I puff to Kevin. "Was exhausting."