Chapter 58

She was in shock.

No. This wasn't possible. Her mother was dead. They'd buried her over one hundred and fifty years ago. Maddy had given the eulogy after Damon failed to show up.

"This can't be happening," said Maddy, who was now sitting beside Kai on the couch. She was holding her stomach, feeling like she might throw up. Kai didn't know what to do. He wasn't sure what one was meant to do when a pregnant woman's entire life was being turned upside down.

"Do you need a trash can?" asked Kai awkwardly.

"No," she said, turning around and putting her legs up, trying to breathe. "I'm just wondering how the hell my mother, who died, is actually alive, and in a prison world with a group of vampire-witch hybrids! I thought she was dead, but my mother is alive..."

Her voice broke, and Kai lifted his hand as if to pat her back, but didn't do it when she turned away, closing her eyes and starting to cry.

"My mom is alive," she sobbed into her hands. "My mom is alive..."

Kai tried to occupy himself by flipping through the book, to see what other information there was about Lillian Salvatore. All he could see were notes about her being a Ripper, as well as a bit of history about where the heretics had been trapped. He gulped, not sure if he should show Maddy.

"Oh god," she said, holding her stomach again. "This is just too much."

Kai wondered if she could miscarry just from the shock. He let his hand hover over her stomach, and she stopped her crying suddenly, watching as his hand started to glow. It wasn't hurting her, however, which had to mean she wasn't siphoning.

"You've got a lot of magical energy in there," he said. "I think you're getting too agitated. Sit up."

She did so, and tried her hardest to draw in slow, deep breaths. Little by little, she started to calm down.

"That's fascinating," said Kai, letting his hand hover over her stomach again. "I'd never gotten to do that to a pregnant woman before. It's like I can connect with it. Like I understand what it's feeling."

"Is it okay?" asked Maddy worriedly. "Am I hurting it by getting all worked up?"

"It's fine. It's calmed down. This is so confusing... but intriguing at the same time."

"What else does it say about her?" asked Maddy, taking the book from him. He quickly snatched it back.

"The details are gruesome," he said. "I'll give you a recap. She turned in 1858, faked her death, went to Europe, where she went a little nuts. Bodies piled up, she moved, killed some more, until she had to move again. They think three thousand total from her and the heretics combined. That's why my coven made it their duty to stop her. On October 31st, 1903, they cut her off at New York Harbor before she could tear through Manhattan. By the time they got to the ship, they found everybody dead. It was so gruesome they had to burn it there at the harbor."

Maddy gulped. "So she left us to take a group of Rippers on a binge with her."

Kai winced. "Apparently."

"And do you have a way of getting into this prison world?"

"Yeah, I have the Ascendant."

"Were you planning on going in?"

"I won't need to if I get Klaus's blood. I want someone powerful to be my sire. It would help for the heretics to be able to teach me about my abilities, but..."

"We need to go in."

Kai blinked. "You want to go in?"

"Of course I do!" she said, surprised he had to ask. "That's my mother in there! She's alive! I never got to say goodbye to her! If there's any chance I can see her again, I want to. And..." she bit her lip. "The cure. If we go in, we can get a copy of the Cure for Immortality. Rebekah wants that. She's wanted it for so long. If I could get that and give it to her..."