"Voices 声"

Tanjirou walked into the darkroom, barely seeing past the white bedsheets. His body and lungs ached. His heart still hurt.

You'd yet to open up.

Sometimes he'd see you up and about, yet a fogged over gaze. Other times he'd hear or see you training in the dead of night. Not a soul to watch or listen to something they shouldn't.

Sometimes he didn't know if best to make you talk or leave it alone.

He stared at Nezuko tucked underneath the crisp white sheets. You lay there, back curled against her side. Bags plain as day under your eyes. Dried and new tears lay resting on pink cheeks.

"Blossom... Nezuko. I know that they said you could sleep as much as you want to regain strength." His hand gently grazed over your cheek, removing some of the (h/c) strands.

"When you don't open your eyes, I worry a bit." Your eyebrow furrowed as a soft groan escaped between your teeth. He could only wonder what was hurting you so badly?

"Guess what, I'll be leaving. My body is healed, and I'm stronger. But, fortunately, those two will be with me as well."

Tanjirou could only imagine how slow your healing had been over the past few weeks. Now nothing but lingering scars on your wrists and throat, a reminder. His chest ached.

"You too, Blossom. Having you close gives me courage. Yeah... I'm sure you'd agree." Tanjirou gently held your hand, rubbing his thumb over bruised knuckles. Your hand squeezed his, attempting to pull him closer.

A hint of a smile pulled on his lips before fading to a frown. "To turn Nezuko back into a human, I'd have to defeat strong demons... Am I capable of that?" He wasn't sure of himself. Even with all the faith, he had in you, he can't let you carry him forever.

I know you can do it. Big brother, (y/n).

"Thank you, Nezuko. And I'm sure... Whatever they are going through, they'll get over it. I trust them." Tanjirou wiped away any lasting tears on your cheek and placed a gentle kiss there. He could only hope it was true because he was just so confused. But you and Nezuko gave him strength. Like it always had been.

~

The dusk faded as a promise of a million stars, those brilliant pearls of the darkest of velvet night. In every direction sat one of the balls of gas. Almost as if you could touch it. Your head tilted, gazing upward, eyes more open than they can be in the fullness of day, not looking at one star, yet somehow seeing them all at once.

Your knees rested close to your chest. It was there, even amongst the soft echos of the animals and the slight rush of wind. Then, a tame mind was hard to achieve. Now, it was impossible.

Its hiss is always accompanied by a headache. Some are worse than others. Now, it won't ever go away. It whispered forever at the back of your mind.

You hid amongst the blue haori, wishing for peace of mind.

"Are you alright all the way up here?" The voice was familiar, one of lady Shinobu. She seemed interested in you, continuously checking up and never really leaving you time to think. You peeked over the sleeves.

"If I could, I'd like to ask you something. Do you think we could be friends?" You met a pair of pale, tired Violet eyes. A warm, familiar smile stayed plastered on her face like always.

The air had a slight scent of anger, hidden behind a veil of peace. "Are you angry?" You asked. Her violet eyes widened slightly with surprise.

"For some reason, I always pick off the scent of anger off you, Ml'Lady. You always seem to have a smile on." Her gaze lowered towards the estate's garden. Tiny moths flapping around the small wicked candles.

"Yes, you're right." She whispered. "It may be that I'm constantly angry."

Your chin rested on your knees, intently listening to her voice. It was calm. Nowhere did the scent of deceit cross the air, so you listened.

"My older sister was slaughtered by a demon. I see the mournful tears of others who lost their loved ones. I hear their loud cries of despair. Each time I do, the anguish inside me grows larger."

Something in your chest churned. Guilt. It was always there. Causing so many people pain; they didn't deserve it. Having Tanjirou himself go through that same heartache was enough. It felt wrong, like just being around caused him bad luck.

"In the inner most depths of my soul, there's a hatred I can't fight. I'm sure the others feel something similar." Her cold fingertips danced along your shoulder, pulling you into a side hug. "Now with their own eyes, they see not only one but two demons who haven't harmed anyone not deserving. And now, a half-breed such as yourself came into this world with peaceful intentions."

Her voice grew quieter, almost drowned out by the wind. Warmth seeped through your entire body. "We can't deny your existence. My sister had a kind heart, she held sympathy for demons. Even on the brink of death, that didn't change. I couldn't bring myself to be that way. I never heard such nonsense."

With each word, the fuzziness of your mind cleared. The voice drowned in her pain, no longer bugging you like it was before.

"Even so, I need to find a way while keeping a smile my sister said she loved. But, I have to admit, I'm tired. Demons do nothing but lie to survive. and murdering us without a shred of humanity." Lady Shinobu gripped the insect haori, her smile never wavering.

"I hope you and Tanjirou can be hard workers to do something I can't. It warms my heart. So I can rest easy."

Your gaze tore away from her. What made her so confident? How would she know if anything you did would fail? That'd you lose everything you'd come to cherish? What proves that the corps doesn't seem loath your existence?

"You say that... What proves that you don't hate me?" Your hand nervously fiddled with the small blade hooked into the haori. It provided little comfort in your uncertainty.

"I was thrust into this world without another thought but to be used and taken advantage of. I want demons and humans to live in peace like Tanjirou, Nezuko and I do." A hand landed on your cheek, removing something wet. Although, you didn't care.

"I lose... Everything after I begin to care. Tanjirou gets hurt every time, on every mission and most of the time, the one thing keeping me at bay is my own weakness."

You had almost lost Tanjirou and Nezuko. Now, Inosuke and Zenitsu meant a lot on that level. What if you'd let them down? "I hate it. These voices, that helplessness each time when all they do is fight for my life."  Your hands clamped over your ears. It wad pointless, it still raged within your mind. It never had gone silent.

Lady Shinobu's thumb smeared the salty tears. It had been so long since you've cried. Not since Nezuko had been changed. The day Tanjirou lost it all. Yet, you promised to protect him, yet he's done nothing but protect you. Or at least that you know of.

"I see. It seems we all have our own demons to deal with. Some internal, others external. So, grow stronger then. So a dream my older sister and you share can be a reality." Lady Shinobu patted your shoulder. Not a hint of embarrassment for consoling someone like you, someone beneath her.

"Plus, you're not as discrete as you think." Your fearful gaze latched onto her violet one. "I've seen all those tears you shed internally not for the sake of yourself, but others. And, you've already mastered that simple constant. What you might be looking for is not so far out of reach, now is it?"

And with that, she stood and was gone.

For once, the echoing voice in your head went silent.