"保存しました Anonymous Hashira"

The dust swirled in large clouds, hands thudding against the blistering blade held his attention. Words barely reached above the loud heartbeat pounding against his skull. 

Blood coated Renoku's body, and parts of the abdomen were sliced and ripped to pieces. The attacks shook the earth, sending hot sweltering air swishing against his face.

They separated, bare touches of the sky beginning to reach towards the sky. Blood splotched from the Hashira's gut. Words fell silently from his mouth, repeating his name. 

The two clashed, barely visible to anyone watching beyond the big clouds of dirt. Amidst the dust settling- an eerie silence hung overhead. All eyes are glued to the demon and the Hashira. Their forms, barely visible past the dust, yet still as stone.

"How does it feel-" someone whispered, "now that someone like me beat you?"

Slight metal clashes threatened to drown the voice entirely out. The cloud of dust slowly settled at their feet. All three forms are trapped in a battle, with one stuck in the center.

Rengoku held the blistering blade above his head, yet a held it in place. Another person sat in between them, just centimeters apart. The demon's fist collided with the back of their blade, shaking with force. Yet, their hand never shook, not even with the immense pressure the upper moon applied to it.

Their face neither held masculine features nor feminine. Gender is a complete unknown, even simple clothing does not give it away. Long fluffy black hair lazily pulled into a ponytail, delicately cascading over their shoulders. A white dulled gaze stared into a far long sunset.

"You're a girl." The demon hissed, anger seething through his teeth. They lifted a foot, planting it in his abdomen. Their lips curled into a frown as a goopy blop of blood spilled from the demon's frown.

"Hm? Wrong, one more guess."

Tanjirou's gaze stuck on them, he didn't get the slight sense of fear out of them.

The demon pushed back against the discolored sword. The blade itself wielded no color like the others-a simple silver. An uncomfortable grin pulled on the edges of the demon's mouth. "Then, you are a man!"

Rengoku's foot slid against the dirt, almost concealed by the flamed haori. "I-I can handle this. Tend to someone else. Kamado is injured as w-well." They glanced at the shaking blade than at him. His knees and arms shook with fatigue and injuries.

Tanjirou's breath held still, he still wanted to fight? After so much blood falling from his abdomen?

"Noble Flame, your actions tonight were commendable. But, I was given orders. If not followed, then you may not see another sunrise."

The blade was missing from his hand before he could utter a response. They met their eyes, utterly calm, while the demons were a stark contrast. "Someone stronger than the Flame Hashira! What a treat."

"You're too slow. Let me help." Their blade dropped to the ground as they grabbed his wrist. Yanking the demon in close, the scent of blood lay evident on their breath. Rengoku's blade plunged through his abdomen, forcing out the other side.

"Only a girl would hit like that. But, luckily for you, I don't fight girls."

They grabbed a fistful of the pink hair and shoved his face into their knee. A loud crack forced his nose out of place. Following, their foot planted in their abdomen, pushing the demon several feet away. Yet, another, a glop of blood spilled from his mouth and nose.

A harsh scowl lay on his features, "What in the devil's name are you?"

They frowned. "No one of consequence. But you're sexist." The dark tone of the night gave way to light, spilling over the mountainside. The demon's expression melted into fear, as they all did when the sun arose. "Next time, little girl!" With little else, the upper moon had fled.

The Flame Hashira fell to his knees with a dull thud. Blood coated his lower half, tainting the pure white part of the haori. Pain etched itself onto every feature on his face and being.

"Mr. Rengoku!" Tanjirou yelled; tears and fear filled his rosewood eyes. A small puddle of blood sat beneath his knees. He kept glancing towards the forest where the demon once sat and (y/n) laying still as stone.

They knelt in front of the Hashira. The upper moon had ripped a large chunk of his abdomen apart, and cuts littered his body. Tilting his chin to look at them, they studied the shredded skin on his forehead.

"Can your eye open?" Nimble fingers danced across his forehead. The Hashira stared into space, muttering underneath his breath. "Did I do my duty?"

The fire-lit eye is sealed shut by coagulated blood that streamed from atop the head.

They gently sheathed the blade, letting it and its master rest for the time being. "Yes, Flame Hashira. For now, your duty is done." Picking up their blade, they slid it across the sheath before sliding it in.

"Mr. Rengoku! Are you ok?" They looked up to make eye contact with the worried boys. They took Rengoku's shoulders and laid him down. Then, taking a moment to survey his state. They placed it off the black haori over the wounds covering his abdomen.

Standing, they walked over to the boy. Fear etched into every feature on his face. "I-Is he ok?"

They knelt in front of him. A paled white gaze studied his entire body. Were they blind?  The long fluffy black hair covered their eyes, barely letting the shiny white eyes.

"Stop moving until the Kakushi get here. They're twenty minutes behind." Zenitsu and Inosuke stepped forwards, asking if the Flame Hashira was alive.

"As of the moment, he's alive."

Just as they turned to leave, Zenitsu caught the black uniform. They glanced curiously back at him.

"Are you a Hashira too? What's your name?" They removed his hand, keeping a smile. "No one of worth remembering. Be well boys, I have a feeling we'll meet again."

Tanjirou's stare stayed latched onto their back as they gathered the larger male into their arms. They lifted him as if he were light as a feather. Then, holding under his knees and back, let him rest on their shoulder.

A crow landed on their shoulder. They turned to it, speaking a soft command. "The flame Hashira, Rengoku Kyojuro, is temporarily suspended from active duty. Questions, please refer to the Master of the Corps. Good day."

They were gone within the blind of an eye. Not a drop of blood lay where they once stood. The crow took off into the distance, spreading the word. They came and went, with no identifying features to match a name. A colorless sword and a pitch-black haori stayed at their side.

(An- shameless plugin, go check out Anonymous Hashira to read into Rengoku's full recovery and what's so mysterious about the newcomer. Bye-bye for now fuff owls)