"Final Selection 最終選別"

(y/n)'s fingers glided lightly through Tanjirou's long hair. It was strange just how long his hair had gotten over two years. Admittedly it would have been a few inches longer than it was. Tanjirou's eyes fluttered shut, leaning into their gentle touch without them knowing. Their nimble fingers pulled softly on the rosewood strands. Inaudible sounds of the blade slicing through his hair, and it falls to the floor. Tanjirou sincerely adored it when they were the ones to cut his hair.

"Did they like my hot pot?" They returned his question with a small smile. Although they weren't much for words, a small smile indicated it was good in their eyes. Tanjirou drools from the mere thought of delicious food.

"Yes. I haven't tasted anything so delicious in a long time." Their hands cupped his cheeks to move Tanjirou's head back to the optimal position.

"For a kid with a huge appetite like you, a good meal will earn you some energy and a few inches in height. Maybe you'll surpass (y/n) then." They turned toward the older male with a confused look. They weren't that much taller than Tanjirou, only about 2 inches.

"Really? I'm not that much taller than him."

Urokodaki continued like (y/n)'s comment was nothing but the wind. "But the same goes for the demons. So bear this in mind. A demon's strength is based on how many people they eat." They listen in on the conversation between the two males, not finding it in themselves to contribute.

"So the more people they eat, the stronger they become?" Tanjirou moved his head again to where they moved him back into place. Their fingers ran delicately through his rosewood locks, ensuring that it was all the right length.

"That's right. A demon experiences bodily changes and may even gain magical powers as it gains strength. If their sense of smell is keen enough, they can even smell how many people a demon has eaten." 

They shifted towards the front of the male, to where Tanjirou met their eye. A small smile pulled on their lips, then continued to make it so that the rosewood locks didn't fall into his eyes. Once they were finished, they turned around only to see Urokodaki offering them a fox mask.

"What is this?" The older male handed Tanjirou one with a sun on the corner forehead. It matched his scar, to be honest. their own had a large icy crack across the cheek. "It's called a talisman mask. It is to keep them away from calamity. I've cast it with a spell." Their fingertips ran across the soft material and paint. It was of good quality.

~

The rosewood-haired male knelt by his sister's side, holding her hand to his forehead. In all honesty, (y/n) wished that the female would wake. Tanjirou seemed very upset at least once a day. more in the morning than afternoon, she wasn't awake when he would. "Nezuko. I promise that I'll come back to them." They adjusted their mother's blade to their upper thigh so they wouldn't lose it and the borrowed one Urokodaki gave them.

He also had Tanjirou, wearing the same type of clouded haori he wears. Not like they minded. "Don't worry about your sister. I can look after her." They turned towards the male with a thankful smile, knowing that Tanjirou would still be worried but less worried about it. "Yes. Thank you, Master." Tanjirou said softly, obviously still in deep thought. He stood and walked outside, ready for the trial to come. They were about to follow when Urokodaki called out to them.

"(y/n). Come here for a minute." Stopping, they turned towards the male. Although it didn't show on his face, it was clear in his voice that he was worried for the two of them. He would hope we would get past something that would be to come. "Please keep an eye on Tanjirou. I know he's capable of himself but needs a little guidance sometimes."

They weren't sure of the emotion that crossed their face. But knew it must have been a mix between shock and a flustered look. "I-Uhm... Okay." It was the only thing they managed to stumble out in surprise.