Springtime 春の時間

The frostbite crawled their hands, frozen hair sticking to their forehead. Red ligatures lay scattered across their body as they gasped for air. The nails cracked, and chilled blood lay blue underneath the skin. Their nose and lips flooded with cold blood, turning them a blushing pink. Bags lay underneath their eyes as if staying awake for days on end. A hue of white lay over their cheeks, yet flushed with red and skin warm to the touch.

Urokodaki gently pried the cracked blade from the frostbitten fingers. It's dark silverish blue splintered with cracks. The other version was snapped in half inside its broken sheath. He carefully overlooked the hilts, finding them coated with blood.

He packed the sister blades away in a wooden box, planning on sending them to the swordsmithing village to be fixed. Next, he grabbed a warm wet cloth and cleaned dried and frozen blood off (y/n)'s arms and legs.

Urokodaki pulled back their hair, cleaning the blood from any open wounds. He found their (e/c) eyes squeezed tightly shut, twitching.

He spoke softly so as not to scare them. "Are you awake, young child? Or having a nightmare?" His thumb brushed away more smeared blood when a hand snatched his wrist.

(y/n)'s expression grew scared, letting go of his wrist to scurry backward against the floor until their back hit the wall. No familiarity glazed over their eyes.

"Hey," He said as if he was calming down a wild animal. "I'm not going to hurt you." Scared (e/c) eyes scanned him carefully, noticing the mask staring into their soul. Their body shivered uncontrollably, arms and legs pressed so against their tummy for warmth.

"I-is... it y-you?"

Their voice was soft and cracking. He could only wonder how much they had to cry out for it to be worn like that. The familiarity glimmered in their eyes once again. Their scared position relaxed.

Urokodaki offered them a hand. Shakily, they took it. He carefully pulled them into his arms. They threw their arms around him, burying their face against the clouded haori. His hand stroked the wet hair to calm them as their body racked with chills and pained tears.

"It's alright, young one. You're safe here."

Two suns came and gone, and still no word from Tanjirou and the others. Yet, their wounds began to heal slowly. Fingers and arms are warming against a flickering flame. Their warm breath condensed into a fog as the sunset. Their limbs grew stronger daily, and their scars faded with time.

But, the lonely feeling in their chest grew. The thought alone of Tanjirou not knowing where they were or if they were alive. Most of that day is a blur, lost to the wind. The only thing that lasted was the lingering feeling of Tanjirou's warmth.

They watched the flame dance against the trees swaying in the wind. Its howl drifted across the lonely mountain.

"(y/n)! Come inside before you catch a cold!" Urokodaki called. Their gaze lingered on the forest line before struggling to stand. Although their limbs were healing, they still needed something to help them stand and walk.

(y/n) turned away from the fire and walked towards the door where Urokodaki waited. His hand dropped to his side, staring at something off into the distance.

A howl of wind rushed over their body, carrying voices with it. The sound sent their heart soaring.

"Where are we even going, Nezuko? There's nothing out here on this mountain! I knew that demon lied to us!"

"I know, but it's for my brother's sake, Zenitsu. Look at him. Even Inosuke's been too quiet."

Somehow, they didn't find the strength to turn around. They were only listening to the three familiar voices rustling through the trees. Their body stood upright and stiff, clenching their fist tightly until they found the will to turn around. Their mouth snapped shut, feeling the cotton someone had pressed into the back of their throat.

(y/n) looked to Urokodaki for a sign. He was saying that what they heard wasn't fake. He nodded softly, pointing to the treeline.

Shakily, they found the courage to turn around. There, walking out of the treeline, was Nezuko. Her eyes returned to the pretty pink of her childhood. Zenitsu clung to her side while she pulled Inosuke by the hand. His bore-head mask dragged against the ground with his green gaze stuck to the floor.

They stepped out of the treeline, making eye contact with (y/n). Nezuko dropped Inosuke's and gasped. Her eyes grew wide with tears as she clamped a hand over her mouth. Zenitsu stared on in disbelief as Inosuke glanced up.

The mask fell from his hand as he rushed forwards. He nearly knocked them down with a tight bear hug they couldn't breathe. Their arms returned the sentiment. They had thought the worst, that they were never coming back.

"I told you! They're too strong to die stupid!"

Tears brimmed on the edges of their eyes, threatening to overflow. Inosuke backed away, revealing Tanjirou standing in front of them.

His rosewood eyes stared on intently. Bags lay underneath his eyes, and scratches lay on his arms and neck. His body relaxed, shoulders dropping, his mouth curling into a genuine smile. (y/n) couldn't help but return it.

Their arms opened and waited. He didn't waste any time closing the distance between them. Tanjirou crashed into them, knocking (y/n) to the ground. Both their arms held each other close, leaving no gap. Those threatening tears overflowed onto the checkered haori.

Tanjirou sat up, taking them with him. He snuggled into their neck, hiding his face from the world. Their hand came to brush the soft rosewood hair. His hand clenched the yukata tightly.

"Please... Never leave me again. I don't... I don't think I can handle losing anyone else. Especially you."

(y/n) held his warm cheeks in their hands, forcing him to meet their teary gaze. "Never again." He grabbed their hand, holding it close to his cheek, then kissed their palm.

Tanjirou sighed shakily, resting his head on their shoulder and pulling them against him. "C-can... I hold you a little longer?" They smiled into his hair, feeling safe for the first time. "For the rest of forever, Tanji-kun."

(y/n) glanced up, seeing everyone watching. They opened their arms only to have everyone join. Their laughs and sounds of joy made them smile. It was nice to be home amidst the springtime.

Now, everything made sense. Everything that happened is now a reminder of how to live in the here and now. So, here? It's not snowing. Not anymore.

Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forwards.