Trolls OC: Nightshade

Nickname: Shady

Voice Actor: Kelly Macdonald (3D media), Liza Koshy or Alyson Stoner (2D media)

Gender: Female

Home: Isles of Darkness (former), Goth Wood (current)

Species: Troll

Origin Tribe: Goth Troll

Occupation: Patrol Guard

Family: Bosko (father), Ebony (mother) 🪦

Friends: Onyx (best friend), Ophelia, Hickory, Val Thundershock, Smidge, Branch, Other Delegates

Appearance: Shady stands around the same height as Onyx, with baby-blue skin, a silver nose, black hair held high in a spiky ponytail, and emerald-green eyes.

As a patrol guard, Shady's uniform is a black and gray Robin Hood-esque outfit, but her off-the-clock attire (in TrollsTopia) consists of a light-purple dress with a vest the same color as her eyes, as well as daffodil-colored, rubber-soled shoes and black-forest exercise wristbands.

She also speaks with a Scottish accent.

Personality: Shady's quite headstrong, outspoken, and honest. She tends to be very skeptical about new things and always tries to be prepared for danger.

Despite the fearless exterior she exudes, Shady has numerous phobias, including heights, others staring at her, kissing, thunder, mirrors, fireworks, public speaking, being naked, and glitter.

History: Growing up in the impoverished parts of the Isles of Darkness, Shady would often take odd jobs to earn money for herself and Bosko... until she got into and completed guard training.

When she and her father found out about TrollsTopia, Shady wasn't so sure about it, but Bosko wanted them to travel to "the clean-air oasis" so that his daughter wouldn't suffer the same fate as Ebony (succumbing to a lung disease).

Relationships: Onyx- Shady has been close friends with her tribe's future ruler since they were both younger, and she'd often work (and hunt) with Onyx on his "serf days."

Onyx knows about Shady's fears, and he's organized for her and Bosko to live around the bottom of Goth Wood to accommodate her acrophobia. He also made her a Cryote pup snuggle toy (which she's named "Crystal") for her birthday at one point in their childhood, but it never said who it was from.

Branch- They quickly connected over building traps and weapons.

Smidge- The tough Pop Troll's actually shown Shady the self-defense technique of free-throwing things with her hair (after some hair strengthening).

Val Thundershock- Shady's rather impressed by the Hard Rock ambassador's toughness and resilience. Her reckless irresponsibility... not so much.

Synth- Having grown up with stories about Techno Trolls being aquatic robots who drown other Trolls, the Goth guard started out terrified of the Techno ambassador. However, after learning of each other's fears and helping one another through them, Shady came to grow rather close to Synth and no longer fears the Techno tribe quite as much.

Satin and Chenille- Upon seeing all of the Goth guard's non-work clothes (which were raggedy enough to make Satin throw up), the fashion twins immediately decided to give Shady a complete wardrobe overhaul, including her current casualwear.

Skills and Abilities: She has normal Troll abilities, as well as the abilities of her tribe.

She can also dive down deep enough to impress Synth.

Music- Despite being a Goth Troll, Shady's secretly great at yodeling. Only Hickory knows about this.

Sports- Shady picked up archery and wrestling (or "aggressive hug-dancing," as she called it in childhood) from her patrol guard training. In TrollsTopia, she sometimes teaches archery to other Trolls. She's also good at bowling and one half of the "Rocker Ball Dream Duo," along with Onyx.

Surprisingly, Shady's also a natural at rock-climbing, which Synth got her into to combat her fear of heights.

Stealth- Like Zipp Storm, Shady can be pretty sneaky when she wants to be, making her a whiz at Hide and Seek Extreme.

Gardening- As someone who's been working in the fields throughout childhood, Nightshade is quite skilled and knowledgeable in growing plants, particularly food.

Etymology: Nightshade refers to a family of plants.

The term "shady" means "sheltered from direct sunlight," playing into the Goth tribe's darkness theme. It also means "dishonest and disreputable," which is rather ironic considering that Shady is an honest patrol guard.

Trivia: -Ebony worked as a chimney sweep while she was still alive.