Chapter 60

Maddy decided she didn't need Lily.

She thought she did. But maybe, all she wanted was the extra comfort her mother might have provided if she still cared about her children. But obviously, her heretics mattered more to her, and that was fine. Maddy had other family members she could care about. Lily was nothing but blood to her.

She made a goal for herself to go through the rest of the pregnancy without giving her a second thought. She had Jo, she had Hayley, and soon she'd meet Cami, who she knew to be nice. Eventually, Elena and Bonnie would come to live closer to her, and her brothers could always pop by if they were in a good enough position to leave Mystic Falls behind for a bit. Considering they were its unofficial protectors, it was a bit harder for them to just take off.

Klaus worried she might end up stressing herself out too much by pretending Lily didn't exist at all. They'd gone to see Jo, and Maddy hadn't even mentioned seeing Lily, even though Jo had asked her how her trip to Mystic Falls was. All Maddy had responded with was, "Fine, I got to see my brothers," and then she'd quickly asked what the results of the karyotype were.

"Well," said Jo a bit nervously, "if these results are accurate... then you are having a tribrid."

This gave Maddy something else to think about.

"How do you know?" asked Maddy worriedly.

"We compared your genes, Klaus's, mine, and the old one I got from Enzo. Baby has the markers for the altered vampiric gene, the wolf gene, and the witch gene. Whether they're all going to be switched on is still... to be determined. But based on genetics alone, the baby is a tribrid. And since we live in a supernatural world, it's very likely that when it grows, the child will be able to tap into their wolf and witch abilities."

"Hang on," said Klaus, who was confused, "but how would the vampirism factor in? Would they still age?"

"This is another theory," said Jo, "but I think it's that they would just automatically become a vampire if they were to die. As in, their own blood would essentially turn them. I don't know how that would affect their wolf or witch abilities, but chances are, they'd manage to retain that power even after they turn."

Maddy looked at Klaus, as if silently asking him if this was still something he was interested in. He would always have an out, if he decided it became too much.

He was certain he still wanted to be a part of this. He took her hand. "If it is a tribrid, then we will... determine the best way to teach it how to manage all parts of itself."

Jo smiled reassuringly. "Any other questions before we start with the check-up?"

Maddy shook her head, and just started to undo her pants, lifting her shirt with her other hand so that they could proceed with the ultrasound.

The baby looked healthy, which was fine. Maddy appreciated that aside from the back pain and some mild discomfort, she still wasn't having major symptoms that would ruin her day. Still, she was instructed to get plenty of rest whenever she wasn't doing her exercises to try and stay fit.

When they returned home, Klaus left her in her room with a tray of beignets while he went into his study to call his siblings, to ask how they might proceed with dealing with Esther, despite the fact she hadn't made any moves. In that time, Maddy had started to watch a movie, but had been interrupted when a call came in from Kai.

"Hey," she said. "Are you settling in well?"

"Yeah," he said. "The apartment is nice. Monique thinks I'm hot, so..."

"Did she tell you that?"

"Well, she agreed to go on a date with me, and she was looking me up and down."