What Being a Teen is All About

One Week Later
Aria's Pov

"Aria, it's okay." Hanna says "Don't care what they think."

"Yeah, if they don't like it, it's their problem, not yours." Spencer adds on to Hanna's words.

"If anyone looks at you weirdly, just ignore them." Emily urges. I look at my three best friends, hoping they'll tell me that going to the lake isn't a good idea anymore. On this hot end-of-July day, my friends are trying to get me to go swimming. And even though my belly is nothing to be ashamed of, I still feel nervous about wearing a bikini to a public place. I wasn't ready for all the looks I was definitely going to receive.

"But who knows who's gonna be there." I plead. Spencer looks at me with a displeased look on her face.

"It doesn't matter who's there," She says "Don't care what other people think." I nod, because I know that. I know that I shouldn't care what people thought of me or my baby bump. I shouldn't care, and I tell myself that I don't. But deep down, I do care. What people think about me makes a difference, I've always taken things that people said to heart. But now, I can't do that anymore. If I did, the people's harsh stares would absolutely destroy me. It's time that I stop caring so much about what people think of me.

"Let's go," I declare "Before I change my mind." My friends all glance at each other, then start toward the front door of Spencer's house. We already changed into our bathing suits, so all we need to do was get in the car.

As Spencer drives us toward the lake, I begin to get nervous again. This lake is the prime summer hangout spot, especially for people my age. And on this especially blisteringly hot day, there's bound to be a ton of people. But it doesn't matter, because I just simply have to not care.

~~~

Spencer pulls into a parking spot and shuts off the car, none of us saying a word for a moment. I stare down at my lap, trying to work up the courage to actually get out of the car.

"Hey Aria," Emily says "It'll be okay. We're here for you." The look in her eyes let's me know that she means it.

"Yeah, if anyone has a problem with you, they'll have to deal with us." Hanna says confidently, causing me to smile slightly.

"We'll always be here for you. Always have been, always will be, remember?" Spencer asks. I nod, now smiling widely.

"Yeah, I remember." I say.

"So are you ready?" Hanna asks softly. With a deep breath, I nod.

"I guess as much as I'll ever be." I reply. It's not that I haven't been in public since I've been pregnant, it's that I haven't been in a bathing suit in public since I've been pregnant. Well I have, but that was when it was too early on to even tell I was pregnant. Now, it feels as if my stomach will be screaming 'Look at me!' when I get into a bathing suit.

Spencer opens her door, followed by Hanna and Emily. I stay glued to my seat.

"Come on Aria, don't let what people might think of you stop you from having fun." Spencer says "Just ignore them." I look at her expectantly, hoping for her to change her mind. After a few moments of silence, Emily speaks up.

"Maybe we're making too big a deal out of this," She offers "If you just act like you don't see people looking at you, then maybe you'll start to believe it. Just go out there with confidence and focus on having fun. It might take your mind off things a little." I nod, knowing she's right.

"And you're not doing this alone," Hanna adds "You have us." I smile at my three best friends, the people who I've gone through so much with. Any problem I have, they're there right next to me, always. And that doesn't change now.