Floor 8, Room 243 (Pt.1)

The Next Morning
Aria's Pov

I awaken to the sound of a phone ringing. My eyes snap open, as I realize that it's my own. I sit up in Hanna's bed, trying not to wake Emily sleeping beside me. I carefully step over Hanna and Spencer, asleep in sleeping bags on the floor. Once I navigate my way to the other side of the room, I pick up my phone. The caller is unknown. I answer it anyway.

"Hello?" I say quietly, trying my best not to wake my friends.

"Are you in relation to Ezra Fitz?" An unrecognizable male voice asks. Dumbfounded, I scrunch my eyebrows together. I take a moment before answering.

"Y-yes." I stutter. There's a pause before the man answers.

"There's been an accident involving Mr. Fitz. He has been taken by ambulance to Rosewood General Hospital." The man says something else, but I don't catch it. My mind goes blank. This can't be true. Maybe they have the wrong person. Ezra couldn't have been in a car accident. I need someone to tell me this isn't real.

I hang up the phone suck in a deep breath, willing myself not to cry.

"Spencer wake up." I say hurriedly, nudging her with my foot. Her eyes snap open, waiting for me to talk. In a shaky voice, I tell her what the man said.

"Ezra was in a car accident, I need you to drive me to the hospital." My mind races at the information I just found out, and suddenly, I have the urge to throw up. Spencer jumps up out of her sleeping bag without saying a word. She starts toward the door, and I quickly follow, whimpering quietly.

"Where are you guys going?" Emily's voice says behind me. Spencer answers her, which is good, because I don't think I can say anything without bursting into tears.

"Just come on. And wake up Hanna." Spencer says blankly. As we walk down the stairs, my mind buzzes so loud it's all I can hear. That and the mans voice saying 'There's been an accident involving Mr. Fitz'. I want to scream. I want to scream because crying isn't enough to drown out the pain. I don't feel like myself anymore, I feel separate from my own body. I don't know if Ezra is or will be okay, and I hate myself for it. I hate myself because I don't know who to blame for this terrible incident, so blaming myself is all I can think to do.

We all get into Spencer's car, no one yet saying a word. As we speed out of the driveway, I look at the clock: 9:17am. How long has it been since the love of my life was involved in a life threatening crash? A lump rises in my throat and my breaths become quicker as I try not to cry. But I realize that it's completely useless fighting it, so I don't hold it in anymore. The tears begin to pour down my cheeks, and each breath comes as a sharp gasp. I can't think, it's like my mind is filled with syrup.

"It'll be okay Aria." Spencer says calmly. I just keep crying, picturing Ezra being rushed to the hospital in the back of an ambulance. I cry even harder.

"Will someone please tell me what's going on?" Hanna asks impatiently. It's no doubt that her and Emily are obviously confused, but their confusion is just about the last thing on my mind right now. Both Spencer and I ignore Hanna's question. She doesn't ask again. The hospital comes into view, and I try to calm myself down a little. But it's impossible. It's impossible being calm when Ezra could be laying in a hospital bed halfway between life and death. I put my head in my hands and let out a frustrated scream. Spencer parks sloppily in a parking spot and jumps out of the car. I follow, then rush past her into the front door of the hospital. Behind me, I hear Emily ask "What's going on? Why are we at the hospital?" Again, a question is left unanswered. Up ahead I see the front desk. I hastily wipe my tears with the back of my hand and take a deep breath.