Moment of Serenity

I squeeze my phone tightly, it's taking everything I have not to throw it across the room.

"How am I supposed to do this?" I cry, tears of anger beginning to run down my face "How am I supposed to keep my baby safe from A? No matter what I do, A is always going to have complete power of me! We can't win!"

"Aria, things are going to be different now, we can't keep this to ourselves anymore. Things are going to change!" Spencer says, trying to calm me down.

"Didn't you read it?" I half-shout "A knew that we were going to get the police involved, so that's exactly why I was threatened. If I tell anyone about A, something bad is going to happen!"

A smirk comes across Spencer's face, as if she got told some kind of juicy secret "Don't you wonder why A doesn't want us to tell the police? It's because A is scared of them. At least of their power. A knows that if we get the police involved, his power over us immediately decreases. The police will be on his trail. Just because we can't track A down, doesn't mean trained professionals won't be able to."

I consider it for a second, then realize it's still a bad idea "But even if we tell the police, there's still time in between us telling and A being caught. That's time for A to do something bad. You know A wasn't kidding. Something bad will happen to someone, and you know it."

She lets out a defeated sigh "I'm just trying to do the right thing."

"I know. But the safest thing we can do is listen to A, give him no reason to do anything bad to anyone. I honestly don't think we fully know what we're up against." I say.

She bites her lip "So were just supposed to let A completely run our lives?"

"For now," I say "And besides, A already runs our lives. A gets us to do whatever he wants us to. And if at first we don't obey, he does something worse, forcing us to. We might as well just take the easy road, and listen right away."

"Ok," She says "But I'm only doing this for you."

"I have an idea," Hanna pipes up "We can get the FBI and S.W.A.T involved. A won't stand a chance."

"Did you not just hear the conversation?" Emily asks lightly "We can't get anyone involved. No matter how many machine guns they have."

"It was just an idea," Hanna says "Just throwing this out there, but unless A is bullet-proof, enough people with guns can definitely get rid of that bitch. For good."

Spencer gives her a weird look "All in favour of not letting Hanna make the decisions, say I."

I laugh, but say 'I' anyway. "Sorry Han." I nudge her with my elbow.

"Fine," She says, throwing her hands up in mock surrender "But I don't blame you. I wouldn't let me make the decisions either." We all laugh, easing the tension in the room.

"Let's just relax," Emily says "We get A notes all the time. It's really no different."

I settle back into the couch, placing my hand protectively over my stomach, over the tiny little baby that is starting to grow. Hanna turns on her phone, and Emily and Spencer continue to watch the movie.

I try to act like nothing just happened, but on the inside, I'm so panicked that even Hanna's idea seems to look pretty reasonable.

"I hope you have a little girl!" Hanna gushes, suddenly looking up from her phone. Personally, I just want a happy, healthy, safe baby. I'm not focused on the gender. But with A around, being safe isn't really an option.

Hanna scoots over beside me "Look!" She cries "Isn't this the cutest thing you've ever seen?!"

There's a white Roberto Cavalli laced ruffle dress with a pink silk bow on the screen of Hanna's phone. I had to admit, it is pretty damn adorable.

"It's definitely very cute," I agree "But who says I'm having a girl?"

She shrugs "I don't know. But I hope you do so I can buy this!"

The movie ends, and Spencer quickly shuts it off "Finally." She sighs.

"You didn't like it?" Emily asks, looking slightly puzzled.

"No, I loved it," She corrects "But I want to look at baby stuff with Hanna."

Hanna looks up, a devilish expression on her face "See! I'm not the only one!"

"I just found out I was pregnant yesterday, clothes haven't really been on my mind yet." I defend myself.

Hanna tilts her head sideways and raises her eyebrows "Do you wanna look at clothes or not?" She asks impatiently.

"Sure," I say "But it'll just make me that much more impatient."

"Why?" Hanna asks.

"Because it makes me realize that I'm not even two months pregnant, and that I have to wait over seven months to meet my baby." Just saying the words 'my baby' is weird and a little terrifying. But at the same time, it's an amazing feeling.

"Well," She says "We can pass the time by looking at clothes."

I laugh, but agree to look at clothes anyway, as does Emily.

For the rest of the night we skim through various websites, showing each other when we find something really cute, which is all the time.

I can guarantee that for me, the next seven months will not go quick enough. But times like this with my best friends will sure help pass the time.