In Her Own Skin

Two Days Later
Aria's Pov

"Ready to go?" Ezra calls up the stairs.

"Yeah, just grabbing Piper's bathing suit!" I reply as I shove it into the diaper bag. I quickly walk down the stairs, Ezra waiting by the front door holding Piper. On this hot end of July day, we're going over to Ezra's Mom's house for lunch and to go in her new pool.

"Did you get her a swimming diaper?" Ezra asks, looking at Piper.

"Be right back." I sigh, running back up the stairs. After getting one and then double checking to make sure I have everything, I go back downstairs and out to the car where my two favourite people wait.

"Now I'm ready." I say "Let's get going." As we make the drive to Dianne's house, I can't help but get that nervous feeling that's unavoidable every time I go to see her. Of course our visits have gotten a lot better, for Ezra as well, but it's still not perfect. Although we're working on it.

Piper starts crying from the backseat, causing both Ezra and I to sigh. I look back at her, wondering what's up.

"She's fine." Ezra shrugs "She's not hungry, her diaper just got changed, she's just being a little fussy."

"Yeah, we'll be there pretty soon anyway." I say "She might even fall asleep before then." Piper keeps crying for a few minutes, showing no signs of stopping. With the radio down low, her wailing is all that's heard throughout the car.

"Hey Pipe," Ezra sighs "We're almost there babygirl. I think both Mommy and Daddy would appreciate it if you calmed down a little." Unsurprisingly, she keeps crying, making me kind of want to pull over and calm her down. I convince myself to leave her because she's just being fussy and she'll stop crying soon enough.

We pull into Dianne's driveway around five minutes later, Piper still wailing. I immediately get out of the car and go around to the backseat, unstrapping her and lifting her into my arms.

"Shhhhh," I say lightly "It's okay baby, I'm here." I bounce her gently for a moment or two, which thankfully gets her to stop crying.

"You thrive on attention." Ezra says blankly, staring at Piper "Has anyone ever told you that?"

"Oh she's heard it." I roll my eyes jokingly, pretending to be offended "Is Daddy being mean to you Pipey?"

"No, I'm just stating a fact." He shrugs "But I love how she loves attention, it means more cuddles for us."

"That's true." I reply "That's a positive way to look at it."

After grabbing everything we need from the trunk, we go to the front door and knock. Wesley answers quickly, ushering us inside with a wide smile.

"How's my niece?!" He exclaims, reaching out for Piper. I hand her to him with a laugh, much to Wesley's excitement.

"We're good too, Wes." Ezra awkwardly jokes.

"Oh, that's good." He replies, keeping all his attention on Piper.

"Next time we'll just drop the baby off and leave." Ezra says sarcastically.

"Sure, whatever works." Wesley shrugs, carrying Piper into the living room. Ezra and I follow after taking our shoes off, saying hi to Dianne sitting on the couch.

"Glad we're so important to you." Ezra rolls his eyes jokingly at Wesley "We're only the parents of that baby you're obsessed with, your brother and sister-in-law."

"I know, I'm kidding." He smiles "I already know you're good because you live with Piper, so you must be."

"Didn't think of it that way." Ezra laughs. Wesley makes a funny face at Piper, causing her to squeal in delight and start laughing. I can't help but smile at the scene, my daughter's happiness becoming my own.