Safety Not Guaranteed

Aria's Pov

"Aria, try and go back to sleep." Ezra says, glancing over at me from the driver's seat.

"I can't." I reply "How am I supposed to fall asleep when I know that we're practically being hunted down?"

"I don't know." He sighs "But we're all gonna be okay."

"You don't know that." I say "This is A we're talking about, safety is never guaranteed." He takes my hand and gives it a comforting squeeze, giving me a sympathetic look.

"I'm gonna do absolutely everything I can to keep you and Piper safe." Ezra tells me "I promise." Despite the major anxiety and stress I'm feeling, I still manage to smile. I'm not in this alone.

We've been driving for about two hours now, heading west. Emily, Spencer and Hanna are driving in front of us, all in Spencer's car. Since it's only 4am, there are hardly any other cars on the road, which means no traffic. I don't exactly know where we're heading, but I know we're not going to stop driving until there's a good chunk of time between us and A. Only then will I be able to relax enough for some of the tension in my body to ease.

"How's Piper doing?" Ezra asks, trying to look at her in the mirror. I turn around and look at the backseat, where our daughter peacefully sleeps.

"Luckily, she's fast asleep." I tell him "But what happens when she gets hungry? I can't breastfeed her in the car."

"Um..." Ezra says, looking concerned "I don't know. We have no choice but to pull over, I guess."

"Every time she's hungry or needs a diaper change?" I ask "A will catch up to us by then."

"W-well, I can't think of another choice." Ezra says "You can't hold her while we're driving, it's too dangerous."

"I guess we'll just have to pull over." I decide "We'll combine it with stopping for something to eat, because I'm sure we're going to get hungry soon enough. Piper normally gets hungry in the morning at around eight, so we can stop and get breakfast then."

"That'll work." Ezra replies, looking uncertain. I feel the same way. After deciding that I can't fall asleep, I pull out my phone to text one of the girls about the plan. I send a message to Emily saying that we're going to stop quickly for breakfast when Piper gets fussy, to which she agrees after telling Hanna and Spencer.

"Where do think we're even going?" I blurt out randomly "How are we gonna know when to stop driving?"

"I don't know," He admits with a sigh "Maybe we'll stay at a hotel tonight, then leave early tomorrow morning. I guess it's A's call when we stop, I mean he's the reason we're doing all this in the first place."

"It just doesn't make sense," I complain "What's driving us out of town going to do for A? How long do we have to stay away for? I don't get it."

"I've chalked it up to A logic." Ezra says "Whatever the reasoning behind this is, it's complete bull-crap. There's no point in even trying to understand it." I just sigh, an uneasy feeling settling in the pit of my stomach. Why does this have to happen to us, to Piper? She's only an infant, we should be at home with her adjusting to our new life as parents, not running from a crazy psychopath. All I want is for my daughter to be happy and safe, and A is completely destroying any chances of that.

After a few more hours of driving in near silence, Piper begins crying from the backseat. Ezra and I exchange a glance, and I know we're both hoping that if we keep driving, she'll fall back asleep. But of course, she doesn't, her wailing only growing louder with each passing minute. We finally pull over, stopping at a grocery store. Emily, Spencer, and Hanna arrive soon after, pulling into the parking space next to ours. I waste no time, beginning to feed Piper as everyone gets out of the cars.